Chapter 52

If some part of this doesn't make sense... it's expected. >.< Sorry. xP

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE~

************************************************************************************************

“We’ll stop here,” he said with the same dark amusement in his almost-charcoal eyes, “until next time, Alzentis Leclair. Take care.” He lifted his arm up slowly and reached into the seal, his eyes twinkled mockingly as he seized his weapon and heaved it up in the air, where it disintegrated. As far as Alzentis could see, his hand met little resistance in the air, though its tension would suffocate a mortal to death.

Alzentis speculated the meaning of his words, mentally running through their bizarre meeting from the beginning in his head while half expecting Trenton to vanish on the spot. He must have said something, because he felt his own lips move, but it wasn’t a reply for Trenton. As if on cue the ice blue blades disappeared in the air where they had been hovering, returning to where they had come from. It must have been related to whatever it was that he said.

“You shouldn’t be close to Roxanne, because this isn’t just about you, or her,” a serious voice came from before him; Alzentis immediately recognised it to be Trenton’s. He blinked once in astonishment of the presence of the other boy, and was again to be stunned. His enhanced sight was gone again. The rain muffled his voice as Trenton continued. “It’s about the honour of the Lynwood family, and you would have to agree that it will concern half of the world.”

“Your family is really friendly,” Alzentis answered sarcastically. What kind of “brother” attacks classmates to the point of bring them to the brink of death twice in half a minute for befriending his “sister”?

“Don’t get your hopes up, because they’ll only get crushed, Alzentis Leclair. My sister is engaged. Seducing an engaged lady is the act of only the most dishonourable men. I would think that is below you.”

“Don’t be hasty to accuse me guilty of crimes I’ve never imagined, much less committed,” Alzentis responded humourlessly. It was rare that he would snap at people; he hadn’t done that for years. It was a mild surprise even to him when the words rushed out from his mouth in a flow of irritation. He turned his back on Trenton the moment he finished, resolved not to o back no matter what the other boy might say.

Trenton didn’t speak. Alzentis could have sauntered the rest of his way home at leisure if not for the word that kept ringing in his ears. Engaged. He could think it was one of the many lies their people weaved, just like the name Lynwood or Trenton, Roxanne and Alexis’ true identities, but somehow, he couldn’t shake off the heavy feeling that weighed down on his heart.

The rain came crashing down as if determined to demolish everything on the surface of Earth. Alzentis was drenched, water streaming down everywhere in torrents. Somehow he had no t felt the rain when he battled the serpents, though he was almost certain that it had still been pouring then.

The past ten minutes was the second greatest mystery he had ever encountered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing came to Roxanne’s mind other than hiding Frostedlight or washing the Princess’s memories, but she knew too well that both were blatantly infringing Tathiette’s rights as a Princess, which could be seen as treason and punished by the most horrid death.

Footsteps resonated loudly as the careless Princess eagerly advanced; Roxanne followed without trouble.  Most likely, Her Highness, was leading them towards her own chambers – but Tathiette stopped suddenly.