Chapter 8: Hesitant Alliance

Draco had taken Harry to the Gryffindor tower, where he was faced with a dilemma. How to get in? Luckily for him, a third year Gryffindor exited as they got there, and Draco was able to convince the boy to open the portrait for him, and get one of Harry's friends, though it took a few glares, and choice threats before the kid was sufficiently cowed enough to do so.

Within a few minutes, Seamus and Dean, two of Harry's roommates, had appeared in the doorway, along with Granger. The three gasped when they saw Harry's limp form, hanging feebly from Draco's and Blaise's shoulders. He barely made a motion as the two other boys rushed forward and accepted the light burden. Meanwhile, Granger fixed a stony glare on Draco.

"What did you do to him?" she demanded. "What happened?"

Draco's mouth was nothing more than a thin line, as he said through clenched teeth, "I'd like to talk to you. Alone." Granger eyed him snootily, but her face softened with fear somewhat, when Draco's countenance didn't change.

"Fine," she said, giving one last worried glance towards Harry. Seamus and Dean disappeared inside the common room, as Granger, Draco, and Blaise walked back to where Crabbe and Goyle still had Weasley pinned to the wall.

"You're lucky we have a free period right now, Malfoy," she snapped, as Draco continued to be silent. "And I'd really like an explanation, if you will..."

Draco rounded on her so fast, she nearly ran into him. Granger let out a startled squeal. "You want an explanation? Fine! The explanation is that Harry, your beloved Harry, was beat up by his 'best friend' just now. And said 'best friend' sees nothing wrong with that!" His tone was scathing, as Granger's eyes widened.

"Ron what?"

"Beat him up."

"But he didn't look bruised!" Granger seemed to disbelieve Draco's words, and he sighed in exasperation.

"That would be Professor Snape's doing. He healed Harry."

"Why?"

Draco gave her a condescending look. "Really, Granger, I would have thought that with your superior intelligence, you of all people would know why Professor Snape had to heal Harry. He could just ignore a student in trouble."

Now it was Granger's turn to look exasperated. "No, why did Ron and Harry get in a fight?"

"Now that, you will learn in a second." They were approaching Weasley and his two captors now. As soon as the redhead saw Draco, he began to struggle again.

"What did you do with him?" he snarled. Draco fought the urge to slug him.

"Oh, funny how now you show some concern," he said sarcastically. "Harry is resting in the Gryffindor tower now, Weasley, no thanks to you. Now, the both of you, in here." He motioned towards an empty classroom, Granger following willingly, while Weasley was dragged in by the two thugs holding him. Crabbe and Goyle left once Weasley had given up struggling, and was standing sullenly by the door.

"Sit," Draco said shortly. Once they had done so, he whirled around to face them. "Call him selfish, you will," he hissed, glaring towards Weasley. "Tell him what good friends you are. Lies! You two are the most selfish, self-absorbed, and worst friends I've ever seen!"

The two Gryffindors looked affronted, and Draco sneered at them. "Oh, don't give me that look. I think you'll realize what I'm talking about. But first, the questions. Granger, you asked why Weasley here beat up Harry? Do share, blood traitor."

Scowling at the insult, Weasley turned to Granger. "Hermione, I swear, I didn't mean to!" Draco snorted. Pretty words, and so fake. Granger still looked rather shocked by the idea. "It's just, I was so angry. He keeps treating us like dirt, when all we do is try to help him! I just got annoyed!"