Chapter 22: Loving Sacrifice

Anyone sitting in the Leaky Cauldron would have heard the Floo flare to life four times.

Anyone paying attention would have looked up to see a cloaked figure stepping out alone.

Anyone really paying attention would have wondered why there had been four flare ups, when the person was so obviously alone.

But thanks to a simple Notice-Me-Not charm, Draco Malfoy was able to slip through the pub without anyone taking notice. He soon found himself passing through the brick wall, keeping it open just long enough for Harry, Hermione, and Ron to slip past.

His mouth was dry, as he strolled down the streets of Diagon Alley, towards Gringotts. Nearby, he could hear Hermione whisper, “Harry, we are so going to get in trouble for this if we get caught…”

Harry hissed, “Quiet. And we’ll just have to be careful not to get caught then, won’t we?”

Draco fought to keep a smile from tugging at his lips, as he continued on his journey. The smile fell, however, as they approached the massive building. With dry swallow, Draco ended the Notice-Me-Not spell, strolling up to the guards by the door. He remained silent, his impassive mask on his face, as they quietly examined his wand and cast a few spells. Within minutes, he was inside, standing by the front desk. He felt nervous, and feeling Harry’s nervousness as well did nothing to help.

“May I help you?” A goblin sneered down at him from his position at the desk. Draco lifted his chin.

“I’d like to access my vault,” he said coolly.

“Do you have your key, Mr. Malfoy?” Silently, Draco held it up, and the goblin accepted it. “Right this way then.”

Draco followed the goblin slowly, to allow the other three to keep up. He also took his time getting into the cart, making sure he felt something brush by him before he stepped in. The goblin seemed to take no notice of this, as the car began to move.

Several gut-wrenching curves and stomach-emptying drops later, Draco all but stumbled out of the cart. The goblin sneered at him, as it approached the door to his vault. The goblin quickly opened the vault with a stroke of its finger and a turn of the key, before handing the key back to Draco.

“I will be waiting by the cart,” it said in a bored tone. With that, it waddled away, leaving Draco (and the invisible Golden Trio) alone in the vault.

Once they were alone, the invisibility cloak came off, and Ron shook his head. “That was a lot easier than I thought it would be,” he said, grimacing. Harry shot him a look.

“Don’t get cozy, alright? Let’s just get out of here.”

“What are we looking for?” Hermoine asked, glancing at Harry. He shrugged.

“Well, Dumbledore suggested that we search for the heirlooms of the Founders,” he mused. “It makes sense. After all, Slytherin’s locket was a Horcrux. Why wouldn’t the other heirlooms be Horcruxes too?”

Draco sighed. “That’s great, Harry, but what are the other heirlooms?” Harry opened his mouth, then shut it, looking dejected.

“I don’t know.” They all looked at each other, then Draco sighed again and turned towards the piles behind him.

“Let’s get searching then.”

Harry glanced at Ron, who looked overwhelmed by the wealth they saw in there. “And this is yours?” the redhead murmured. Draco glanced at him, then Harry.

“Yes,” he said cautiously. “Father didn’t trust me with any more. He was afraid I’d spend it all.”

“I’m not sure anyone could spend this much,” Ron muttered, moving towards a pile.