Chapter 27: Candlelight

A/N: So, yes, this is a bit shorter than normal. But I think you'll like it. :) Please, refavoment!

~~~

Harry stifled a yawn, but Hermione’s sharp eyes caught it anyways. She sighed, rolling her eyes. “Fine, you may go,” she grumbled. “But tomorrow, during free period, you’re helping me again.”

“C’mon, Hermione, give me a break!”

Hermione was adamant. “You’ve got to find out what the last one is,” she hissed. “I can’t do all this work by myself! It’s down to you, me, and Draco.”

“We could always get Pansy, Blaise, and Goyle to help…”

“You know we can’t tell them…”

“Well why not? I trust them!”

“You trusted Nott as well.” Harry scowled, but didn’t argue. He knew she was right.

“Fine. Tomorrow during free period.” He glanced at the ceiling as he stretched. “Why can’t every day be Sunday or Saturday?”

“Because then you wouldn’t know the difference between the two, because you would have no education,” Hermione said primly. “We need education. Now go on, do whatever it is you want. Go figure out what Draco’s up to or something.”

Harry brightened at the mention of his Inima. Draco had left an hour before, claiming there was something he needed to see to. Probably had to do with their meeting later. “See you later!” he called over his shoulder, racing out of the library. Hermione watched him go, a small, sad smile on her face.

She glanced down at the quill she held. Ron had given it to her for her birthday last year. “Oh, Ron,” she whispered sadly. “I miss you.” She didn’t begrudge Harry his relationship with Draco, but oh, how she wished she still had Ron around. With a sigh, she returned to her notes, losing herself in the words on the page.

~ + ~

Harry rolled his eyes as he finally made his way up into Gryffindor tower. He had only just now realized, after half an hour of searching, that he could just check the Marauders’ Map. With a grimace, he reached under his bed where he’d hidden it, and pulled the parchment out, unrolling it quickly. His eyes scanned the map, finding Draco quickly. He was moving towards the Gryffindor tower right now. How had Harry missed him?

Harry rolled the map back up, pushing it back into its hiding place. He had just reentered the Common Room when he spotted a third year entering with a sullen look on his face, followed by Draco. He grinned at the blonde, his grin fading slightly as Draco smiled back, albeit nervously. What was bothering him?

“You okay?” Harry asked, concerned. Draco nodded.

“I’m fine,” he replied, forcing himself to keep a relaxed look on his face. “Just thinking about some homework I’d forgotten. Oh well, I can do it later. Feel like visiting a certain Room with me? I’ve decided not to wait until later.”

Harry nodded, taking the hand Draco held out to him. Both ignored the gaping look of the third year as they left the Common Room.

Neither boy spoke as they walked, both seemingly content to enjoy the other’s company, but while Harry’s mind was peaceful, Draco’s was swirling with emotion. He was glad that he could sense Harry’s emotions, not the other way around. Thankfully, the younger boy was oblivious to his anxiety.

Soon, they had reached the Room of Requirement, and Draco stopped. Harry glanced at him curiously. “What?”

“I have a surprise for you, but you have to close your eyes…”