Chapter 7: Sticks and Stones

A/N: This song *pokes video* is perfect for this chapter. :D

~+~

This. Was. Torture!

Harry found himself regretting his lashing out at Snape. Regretting it, only because of the dull pain in his lower back, as well as the awkward silence that pervaded the room. Snape had not left the room for one second, instead grading papers (more like rewriting the essays or destroying the authors' content than actually grading), or glaring at Harry's back.

Harry could feel the hatred and fury radiating from the Professor, and though Snape had not said a word to him, Harry could only imagine what the greasy old bat would have to say. No doubt he would throw in some crap about his father as well.

He fought back another groan, as his arms continued to burn, and sweat dripped off his brow.

Note to self: never piss off Snape.

Finally, after an eternity, Harry looked up from his job, to see that all the cauldrons had been scoured, by hand. Seemingly an easy task, given his expertise in housework, courtesy of the Dursleys. Au contraire. His back hurt, his arms hurt, his hands were a funny mix of white and red, and he swore he could feel the blisters coming on. At least he was done. Now, all he had to do was get Snape to approve of them, and he could be off.

The Potions Master carefully inspected each cauldron, impressed, though he would have vehemently denied it. "I never would have thought it of you, Potter," he said grudgingly, "But it looks like you can at least do a decent job of cleaning. I suppose you may hurry along now."

Gee thanks, Harry thought sarcastically, but, having learned his lesson, and not wanting to push the man farther, he grabbed his things and took off.

•••

"I thought you promised not to hurt yourself again!"

Harry shot Draco a confused glance. He'd run into the Slytherin - well, the boy had been waiting for him - on his way back from the Potions classroom. "What do you mean?"

Draco huffed. "You must have a death wish, Harry...pushing Severus like that." Harry's face was bewildered as Draco addressed Snape by his first name. Draco kept speaking. "It's madness! Not even I could push him and get away with it...and I'm his godson!"

"What?"

A smirk spread across Draco's face. Harry was so amusing when he was shocked. "I. Am. Snape's. Godson," he repeated slowly.

"Eugh, why?"

"Because the instant I was born, I decided to choose Severus, out of all people. I almost chose Dumbledore, you know." The blonde's tone was sarcastic. "Because my parents decided to name him my godfather, duh! He and my father were best friends once."

Harry grimaced. "No wonder he favors you more," he sighed. "Stupid prat." Draco grinned.

"And proud of it," he retorted. "Anyways, don't cross Severus like that again. If you wish to live another day...avoid his wrath."

"Yeah. I don't want to drown in whatever it is he washes his hair with," Harry snorted. Draco fought back a chuckle, instead, fixing Harry with a mock glare.

"I meant it."

"Fine." Harry rolled his eyes. "I'll try. But he gets annoyed with pretty much anything I do."

"So stop doing anything." Harry smacked his shoulder, and Draco laughed.

"It's getting late, and curfew is in a few minutes," Harry pointed out. His friend sniffed.