Disturbing Premonitions

Y/N's P.O.V

I never thought about what would happen if I were to die. I mean, I knew my time would come at some point, but I never questioned what would come after once it did. My mother took me to church since I was little, so for a while, I believed that Heaven is where I would go should I continue to be the nice and kind person I've always been. My dad argued against it, though, claiming that religion was a bunch of nonsense. It's one of the many reasons why they divorced. Since I spent an equal amount of time between their houses growing up, I had to listen to both of them, which ultimately made me confused about who I should believe. But after enduring it for years on end, I eventually grew to form my own thoughts and not let them dictate my feelings and beliefs. Unfortunately, though, that was also around the time when I began to go bad.

Now, I don't blame what happened entirely on either of them or even on me. But, it still happened and I can't change that. Does it mean I'm beyond redemption? I don't know. I honestly never thought I would need to seek it. Things can go wrong, however, and sometimes, those things can go so wrong as to where your life won't ever go back to the way it used to be. And I knew about the power of consequences for a long time. Some would think that after making minor mistakes in my younger years, I would have learned to be better. And I was....until that one day when it all went downhill quicker than anything I've ever experienced. I don't like talking about the specifics, but if I were to tell anyone, I would at least mention that it got me killed.

And where did I end up? In a hole in the ground outside a city of a place that I never thought existed. I was completely confused as to where I was once I got my bearings. At first glance, it seemed like I had just drank a little too much last night, got up on a plane, jumped out, and landed in a wreck on the ground. But then my mind came to the realization that I would be dead in that case, since nobody could survive a fall from a plane given how high they fly. I then also remembered the bullets....and how they buried themselves in my back, neck, and head. That proved without a doubt that I was reasonably no longer among the living. But that begged the question as to where I was at. And in an almost ironic twist, I look up and see a sign near the top of one of the nearby city buildings that read "Welcome to Hell".

What was my next reaction? Mainly fear and panic, though I wasn't too outwardly expressive of it. I certainly wasn't when I was alive, as weird as it was to think that. But what really kept my fear from being swallowed down was the fact that I knew next to nothing about Hell except that a lot of the worst people that ever lived ended up there. The exact same place that I was in now. What's worse was that it would more than likely be impossible for me to not run into people like that. It'd be like high school, but ten times worse since the only thing that happened there besides borderline bullying was pressure to vape or smoke.

And, needless to say, I'm not anxious to get out of this crater and begin looking around. In fact, if it hadn't started raining and that rain was burning with the smell of something foul, I probably would've remained here for who knows how long. But, once it starts, I scurry out of where I apparently landed and run towards the closest building for cover. Luckily, there is a bit of overhang on the roof, so I'm able to rest against the wall without having whatever is raining from the sky getting all over me. Looking down at myself, I see that I'm wearing the exact same clothes I died in, which I suppose makes sense to a certain degree. However, my thoughts then shift, as they typically do, to wondering what the city looks like. I'm obviously at the outer edge, since it didn't take too long to run to the building that I'm currently taking shelter under, but any further details aren't clear. And if this is in fact Hell, I should be aware of my environment. So, I walk slowly to a corner on my left and slowly turn it, bracing myself for any horrors I might endure.

At first, I find nothing. Just some empty streets with a bit of haze in the air, those streets connected to clusters of dilapidated buildings surrounding the specific area I'm in. Heck, there are even a spare few that look completely destroyed, the roofs having caved in and mere ruins remaining. I hadn't seen many rundown neighborhoods where I grew up, but I had spent enough time online to know that what I was seeing wasn't particularly uncommon, despite it being a neighborhood in Hell. But that's just the immediate area of a couple blocks or so. Past those buildings, more off in the distance, are skyscrapers and taller buildings with neon signs hanging about. Must be the more populated and busier section of this city, but those two words alone keep me from starting down that way. But then the odorous liquid pouring from the sky stops all of a sudden, even though it started only a few minutes prior. And when it stops, the demons living nearby emerge like roaches out of the woodwork.