Chapter 7: Fresh Air

"What is it?" I ask. "What's the news?"

"It's about boyfriend." They say.

"What about him? Is he okay?" I ask.

"He's okay. He's coming home. He's even doing well enough to go to school Monday." They tell me. "If you want to talk to him, he's still at the hospital."

"Oh my god, yes." I sigh. "I'll talk to you guys later."

"Wait." They say as I walk out the door, pretending as if I didn't hear them.

I take the subway to get to the hospital. After his car accident, I don't feel like getting in a car right now.

I hate the subway. Ugh, I shouldn't have taken it. It's all so awkward with people staring and glaring and the silence. Ugh, and just so happens to be packed today. Kill me!

"Bruce Avenue." The robotic voice says as the doors open.

"Excuse me." I say, pushing through the people, trying to make it until the door closes.

The second I reach the door, it closes right in front of me.

"You're kidding me!" I say out loud.

An old man that looks like he's shaking from drugs looks up at me from his seat that's beside the door.

"Tough luck." He spits.

I step back and murmur, "Its fine. I'll just wait for the next stop."

"Don't you just hate that?" I hear a guy say.

"Yep." I say, without even looking.

I turn around and see the guy. Who I see was not expected!

"Hey!" I say as I realize it's what's-his-name. He's in a wheelchair!

"Hey Daphne!" He says. "I got out early!"

I bend down to give him a hug. I feel so bad for him. Hopefully he can walk again. Hopefully it's temporary and not permanent.

"I was just heading to go see you. What are you doing here?" I ask. "The train is going in the opposite direction of the hospital."

"I wanted a breath of fresh air." He whispers. "I'm so glad I'll be able to share it with you."

"The park?" I ask.

"The park." He answers.

And there we are. We got off the subway and go to the park.

I push him around the park and he's so glad to see the outside again. It's a beautiful day for it too. Birds chirping, sun shining. Beautiful.

"So I was thinking." I say awkwardly, preparing to try to get his name. "I was thinking about middle names lately. I don't even remember why but anyway so what's yours?"

"Jay." He answers.

"Jay? That's a cool middle name! Could I call you that?" I ask.

"Sure!" He says. "And what's your middle name?"

"My middle name is Heather." I say with a giggle because I hate my middle name.

"Heather." He pauses. "I'll just stick with calling you Daphne."

He laughs.

"I know right?!" I laugh. "I hate my middle name! I don't know why it's just Daphne Heather does NOT go together!"

We both laugh and I go to sit on a park bench and put him directly beside me.

"I have a confession to make." He says, sighing.

OMG.