Chapter 4: Crash

"What's his name?!" I yell at Ella, as I pace back and forth in her room.

"I don't know," Ella giggles, "You should really calm down."

"Sorry," I say, "I'm just frustrated."

"So did you ask your parents if you can move beside him?" Ella asks.

"No, not yet." I say.

"Why not?" She asks.

"Because your parents are always around and it's kinda embarrassing," I respond.

"Embarrassing? Seriously, Daphne? That's awful. What's even worse is that they are back together," she says.

"Well if it weren't for my parents coming in, they wouldn't be faking their happiness and they would be fighting all the time!" I say.

"Oh really?!" Ella shouts, "Well if it weren't for your parents, they wouldn't have gotten together in the first place because they wouldn't have to figure out sharing the house!"

"Forget I ever said anything," I snap, "I'm gonna go out for a walk."

"Good!" Ella yells.

I run down the stairs as our parents stand at the bottom.

"What's going on?" My mom asks.

"What's the matter?" My dad asks.

"I'm going for a walk," I say without looking at them.

As I walk out the door, Ella's parents begin to walk up the stairs.

I wrap my scarf around my neck as I put my gloves and toboggan on. I feel the cool breezy wind hit my face as the streetlights light my path. I walk to the cemetery as I cry about me and Ella's fight.

I stop at my grandfather's grave. I see some flowers nearby and pick them, all to put them on his grave.

"First you, now this," I whisper as tears stream down my face.

"I miss you, grandpa," I say, as I get down on my knees, "You were one of the only people I could talk to after grandma died. Now, I can no longer come down to gram's and pop's just to talk while enjoying snicker doodles."

I laugh a bit, wiping the tears away as I watch my breath fade into the cold night air.

"I know you probably can't hear me but at the moment you're the only one I can talk to," I say through tears, "My best friend and I had a fight. As crazy as it was, I knew I was wrong, I was just frustrated at the moment. I wish you could be here to tell me alright and that I can be forgiven. Goodbye, grandpa."

I stand up, shaking the dust off of my pants, as I turn around to get ready and walk back.

However, Ella is standing there.

"Ella," I say, wiping away the tears, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, Daphne. I understand," Ella says, "You lost someone this important and you are frustrated about boyfriend drama, with not knowing his name. I forgive you."

"Oh my god," I say, hugging her, "Thank you so much."

She starts crying.

"I'm sorry, Daphne," she sympathized, "I should've been a better friend in your time of need, instead I start a fight. I apologize."

"Don't worry about it," I say.

"My parents came in my room and asked about what happened," Ella says.

"What did you say?" I ask.

"Nothing," she replies.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because I knew that they were already aware of what it was about," Ella sighs as we begin to walk back to her house, "and they apologized. Finally. The did something that I have waited for, for so long, something I thought they'd never do."

"What did they do?" I ask.

"They promised me that they would never fight again," Ella answers.

"That's wonderful," I say with a bit of joy.

Ella smiles.

"They then told me I should apologize to you and instead it ended up with you apologizing to me," Ella says, "You truly are a great friend."

"Thank you," I say, "So are you."

"Before we walk back to my house," Ella continues, "How about we get us a late night decaf at the coffee shop around the corner?"

"Absolutely," I reply.

We giggle as we walk to the coffee shop together. In the process, I get a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I say, answering the phone.

"Hello, this is Nurse Franklin working at St. James Emergency Room Centre calling because your boyfriend wanted you to know something," she says.

"Alright," I say a bit nervously, "What is it?"

Nurse Franklin hesitates to say, "Your boyfriend had a car crash."