Chapter 5: Out of the Way

"Oh my god!" I yell, crying.

I push through nurses and people and doctors and children at the packed emergency room.

"Out of the way!" I barely say through tears.

I run to the front desk, pushing through the line.

"My boyfriend is in there!" I say. "I need in!"

"What's his name?" The nurse asks.

"Listen. It's not important." I snap. "I need in there. He was just in a car crash. I just got a call from Nurse Franklin, I believe it was, and it's urgent that I get in there!"

"Oh. That was me. I'll let you in." She says. "It's room 267."

The nurse tells another nurse and they let me in. I run through there, searching for the room and come to the room. Room 267.

I walk in and nobody is there except for his sobbing parents.

"Oh my god." I whisper, crying with them. "I'm Daphne, your son's girlfriend. Please tell me he is okay."

They look up at me with a worried face.

My heart sinks before they tell me the news. My ears start ringing because of the silence and my heart pounds in worry of what they are about to tell me.

This guy, who I still don't know the name of, is the only person that has ever made me feel special. Important. He is kind and sweet and after a few days of dating him, I already don't know what I'd do without him.

Memories of him flash through my mind as I realize he might die.

"Is he okay?" I ask his parents. "Is he alive?!"

His parents proceed to tell me the truth.