Chapter 14

The arena faded from view and we were suddenly in a large room. There were officials running around everywhere. Several of them grabbed Pita and carried him to a bed where doctors waited for him. I started to run after them, but someone grabbed me.

“You can’t go over there,” he said. He was a weird looking Capitol guy with bright pink hair.

“Like hell I can’t,” I yelled. He tried to keep a hold on me but his Bieber arms were too weak. I broke free and ran over to the bed. “Oh, Pita. Is he going to be okay?”

No one would answer me. The doctors were checking his pulse and hooking him up to machines to monitor him. I grabbed Pita’s hand. It was still warm.

“Don’t die on me Pita!” I wailed. “I need you.”

One of the doctors put a hand on my shoulder.

“Those were common blackberries he ate,” the doctor said. “He’s going to be fine.”

I looked back to Pita. His eyes were open now and he was smiling.

“You piece of –” I started to say.

“Look who joined the party!” It was Heyhey. He sauntered over to us. He had his arm around the nasty Glimmer girl. “You kids were great out there!”

“Thanks,” I said. Pita was lucky Heyhey interrupted me before I could strangle his silly ass.

Heyhey reached down and squeezed Glimmer’s bottom.

“Babe,” he said, “why don’t you go see if you can get papa another drink?” They kissed before she took off. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit at the sight of them together.

“So you and Glimmer?” I asked.

“You betcha, Katpaw,” he boasted. “Ever since we got booted from the arena we’ve been banging like –.”

“Please, spare me the details,” I begged. But then I got curious. “How can you get it on with Glimmer?”

Heyhey grinned. “We’re in the Capitol. Anything goes here.”

That’s when I noticed Cinnabun across the room. He looked fine as hell and smiled when he saw me. He came over and wrapped me in a giant hug.

“You were amazing,” he whispered in my ear. No, he smelled amazing. I wanted to lick him.

“Thank you, Cinnabun.”

“Did you see us hump?” Pita squealed from the bed. Cinnabun glared at him over my shoulder.

“Yeah, I saw.” He pulled back so I could see his face. “Why don’t you visit me later in my room? I’ve got to pick out something for you to wear at the Award Ceremony.”

I nodded my head like an idiot. Cinnabun left the room and I turned back to Pita.

“Those things you said in the arena,” I said. “Did you mean any of it?”

He smiled. He still had berry juice smeared on his chin.

“Of course I meant it,” he said. “I know that humping is against the law unless you’re married, but maybe when we get back. . .”

“What? What about when we get back?” He wasn’t proposing was he? The only way we were allowed to get it on back in District 12 was if we got married.

“Maybe they’d make an exception for the winners of the Humping Games.”

We both laughed.

“I’ll check into that,” I told him.

He sat up in the bed. I took a cloth from the table and wiped his chin.

“Thanks,” he said, staring into my eyes.

“Pita, there’s something I have to tell you.”

He continued his puppy dog stare into my eyes.

“I’m in love with someone,” I said. We were finally done with the Humping Games and all I could think about was seeing Gavin again.

“I know you are,” Pita said. He put his hand in mine. “Don’t worry. I’m in love with you too.”