Chapter 5

Division 12. You are now part of the matrix. Take me to your leader.

The training center was huge. I was standing next to Heyhey and Pita in a corner. We were watching the other tributes.

“Look at her,” Pita said, pointing across the room.

Some nutjob girl was flopping around on the floor. It looked like she was possessed by some horny demon. She had a chain around her ankle with a rabbit’s foot dangling from it. I decided I would call her Rabbitfoot.

“Okay you two,” Heyhey said. “It’s my job to train you for the arena.” He pulled a flask from his pocket and took a long swig. “Woo, now that’s what I call Go-go juice!”

I rolled my eyes. “What should we start with?” I asked.

“Well, first you can tell me what you’re good at. What are your skills?”

“I’m good at math,” Pita said.

Heyhey took another drink.

“Is that so?” he asked. “Tell me, Pita. What are you going to do? Sex You gonna sex them up with algebra?” Heyhey laughed at himself.

Pita got angry. “I don’t know. You asked what my skills are.”

“Nevermind” Heyhey said. “How about you, Katlick? What are you good at?”

I tried to think of something. There really wasn’t anything.

“She has nice boobs,” Pita offered. I glared at him.

“Yes, she does,” said Heyhey, “but that’s not really a skill.” He shook his head. “You two really scare me.”

His attitude was starting to piss me off.

“Why don’t you show us how you won the Humping Games?” I suggested.

He turned serious.

“Once you’re in that arena, you’ve gotta let go of all your inhibitions,” he said. He ripped his shirt open and ran his hands down his chest. He moaned in pleasure. “You have to get in touch with your freaky side.” He scratched his chest with his nails, leaving red marks. It was embarrassing to be standing next to him where all the other tributes could see us.

“What’s she doing now?” Pita asked.

I turned around. Rabbitfoot was on her stomach now. She was slithering across the floor, licking it.

“Is she on bath salts?” I asked.

“No,” Heyhey answered. “She’s exploring her inner freak. It’s something we all have inside us. Only the ones that can find it have a chance inside the arena.”

I saw the tributes from District 1 watching us. Glimmer had a smirk on her face.

“What about them?” I asked. Heyhey glanced over at them.

“You don’t worry about anyone else. The Humping Games is all about finding yourself. Got it?”

I nodded. Pita didn’t seem convinced.

“What are you grinning at?” he shouted.

Jack laughed. “I heard about what you did on the train. Good one.” He grabbed his crotch. “Next time, just ask if you want me to show the crowd what a real one looks like.” Glimmer burst into a fit of giggles.

Heyhey grabbed Pita and held him back.

“What did I tell you?” Heyhey asked him. “Forget them.”

I saw Cinnabun walking toward us. He was wearing a tight shirt that showed off his sexy torso. He winked at me when reached us. I flipped my hair and felt myself blush a little.

“I’m going to need some private time with Katlick and Pita later tonight,” Cinnabun said to Heyhey. “I’ve got to get them ready for the interviews.”

“I’ll send them up when we finish down here,” Heyhey said.

Cinnabun leaned in close to my ear and put his hand on my waist.

“Looking good, Katlick,” he whispered.

I held my breath as he walked away.

“Pay attention,” Heyhey said to me. “We’ve still got a lot of training to do.”