Chapter Two

*Dan's POV*

"Are you seriously going to wear that?" I froze, glaring at my reflection in the mirror. There was no missing her face, peeking over my shoulder from where she stood behind me, trying to get a better look at my outfit choice. I waved my arm out behind me at her, knowing it'd just go right through her, but I didn't care. It was the idea of what I was doing that mattered, hopefully she'd be able to put two and two together and realize she was annoying me.

Realistically, she probably already realized. In the last two years of knowing her, there wasn't a single time she'd really cared if she was getting on my nerves. I suppose that's why she's still here, because she doesn't let my constant pessimism and hostile attitude toward her get to her. She was still just as annoying as the day I'd met her, if not worse now that she was comfortable with what she was and who she was. 

"Go to hell." I snapped, pulling the shirt I'd previously thought perfect back over my head. What was wrong with it anyway? It was just black with a black Tumblr logo on it, I wore it all the time and she never had any complaints. I shouldn't even care, I should just wear it anyway, her opinion be damned. Yet, even as I told myself that, I was glancing back over to the pile of clothes on my bed and trying to figure out a different option.

"Would if I could." She replied in a singsong voice, making me roll my eyes at the familiar comeback. As always, she wasn't particularly happy about being stuck on Earth without any real purpose, and she was always finding ways to fit it into conversation and remind me just how unhappy she truly was. "Go with the galaxy, it makes you look less like a murderer."

"So? Maybe I want to give off the murderer vibe." I countered immediately, stomping over to the bed. I picked it up, observing the pull-over sweater with squinted eyes and trying to figure out whether there was any reasoning behind her suggestion. Did it really look better?

"If you want to screw up your last chance at finding a roommate before you get kicked out of the apartment, sure." She beamed, haphazardly throwing herself onto the bed, sprawled out over the clothes. Not on the clothes, mind you, but literally over them. She'd long ago learned the mistake of not remembering to float constantly, sinking through the floor more than once in the past when she forgot.

"I hate you, Cat, I really do." I grumbled, shoving the shirt over my head in an almost angry manner. She giggled, lifting her head to look at me as I twisted it around to fit properly on my front. I debated ignoring her, before realizing a second opinion might actually be a good idea. As much as I wanted to shove her away and continue my grumpy ways, it was true today was a pretty important chance for me. It had been months since anyone else had replied to my apartment ad, making me think I'd simply tried every possible roommate in the city and none of it had ever worked out. 

"But you're going to respect my opinion, right?" She urged, clearly noticing my hesitation. I sighed, turning to face her with my arms hanging limply by my sides. She grinned, sitting up further and tilting her head to the side in thought. She raked her eyes over my frame scrutinizingly, making me shift uncomfortably as she watched.

"Well? What do you think? Seeing as you're such a fashionista." I muttered the last sentence, smirking to myself at the familiar running gag between the two of us. She often voiced how upset she was over being stuck in the clothes she died wearing, obnoxious mismatched ensemble that nobody would be caught dead wearing today. Well, technically, I guess she is caught dead wearing it.

"You suck." She snapped, glaring at me through her eyelashes. I chuckled, flashing her a toothy smile just to be a bother. She sat back again, clicking her tongue before turning to point to a pair of pants beside her.  "Try these instead."