Chapter Six

*Dan's POV*

*1 week timeskip*

"What?" I sighed out finally, my voice strained with irritation. I was trying my best to ignore her presence, but she was only getting more insistent with each passing minute. She started off in complete silence, lurking in the doorway just enough that I could see her out of my peripheral vision. Then she'd moved on to dancing around the room irritably. Finally, when all of that failed to get my attention, she'd thrown herself across the foot of the bed with a loud sigh, eventually getting to the point where she'd started repeatedly chanting my name so it was near impossible for me to ignore her. That's when I caved and replied to her, no matter how little I actually wanted to. 

I was actually working for a change, on an unexpected job I'd gotten last minute to design a website for some small business. It wasn't anything huge or even important, but I wanted to get it finished while I was in the mood to, rather than force myself to later when I'd much rather be doing anything else. Of course that was too much to ask for though, considering privacy and time to yourself was completely off limits in this house, more-so than ever before in this past week since Phil moved in.

I noticed Cat still hadn't answered me, tearing my eyes away from the screen with an over-dramatic show of reluctance. I didn't want to be interrupted, but I really wasn't that invested in what I was doing. You'd think she'd know that about me by now, that I would actually be in a good mood if I was doing something I enjoyed thoroughly. I looked toward where her voice had come from moments before, my eyebrows lifting curiously when I found the foot of the bed abandoned and empty. I debated my next move for a few seconds, wondering where she could have gone and what she was doing, before ultimately deciding I didn't care enough to look into it. She'd come back eventually, she always does, whether I want her to or not.

I turned back to my computer in a show of indifference, only managing to read over about a sentence of what I was working on before a face suddenly appeared through the screen, making me curse in shock before waving my hand through it, grumbling under my breath. She knew better than that. She didn't seem to care about my reaction though, floating the rest of the way up through the bed, only to cross her legs and float on the opposite end from me, down by my feet like before.

"What are you doing? Is it important?" She questioned, tilting her head to the side and flashing me an irritably bright smile. I glared at her unresponsively for a few seconds, taking in her completely carefree expression. She sure seemed awfully sorry for interrupting me in such an annoyingly bold way, good to see she's about as thoughtful as any other day of the week.

"Everything I do is important to me or I wouldn't be doing it." I said quietly, my voice lacking emotion or interest of any kind as I let my eyes slowly wander back toward the screen. They didn't get to linger for long though, not before she was falling forward, floating obnoxiously just in front of me, the laptop screen going straight through her. I wasn't sure that was something I'd ever get used to seeing.

"Phil just came home from his run to the store." She alerted me quietly, her tone casual despite how the statement didn't fit into our conversation at all. She was doing that a lot lately, bringing him up in conversation despite my less than responsive replies. I'd made it adamantly clear by now that I had no interest whatsoever in my eccentric roommate, but she was nearly as persistent as he was about it.

In the past week she'd taken to showing interest in something other than me for the first time since I'd met her. While it was a nice and well-needed break, it was also might peculiar, almost to the point I found myself getting suspicious. I wasn't even sure what it was about Phil that seemed so entertaining in the first place, if anything she was likely to lose even further brain cells trailing him around the apartment. Yesterday she'd even followed him to work and back, trying and failing to get me to listen to her endless boring stories of what her day was like. Still, it was nice seeing her so passionate about something for a change, rather than just indifferent toward everything. I'd never tell her that though, and I'd never in a million years let Phil know I was even the slightest bit thankful for his presence, especially not when my only reasoning was that my ghost best friend had taken a liking to him. Then again, if it ever gets to the point where I absolutely cannot stand him anymore and have to get him out of the apartment, maybe I'll have to pull that story out after all.