Chapter Thirteen

*Dan's POV* (again Kali? Wtf?? Listen here u hooligan u can't tell me how to live my life and definitely not what pov to write in gOOD bYE hey also i've only ever been to a sushi place once so liSTEN correct me nicely)

"I swear, it was on this road the last time I drove by..." Phil's voice was mumbled and slightly bitter now, like he was embarrassed after messing up so many times and indirectly trying to apologize for it. He had been doing his very best to steer me in the right direction of this elusive amazing restaurant from his perch in the passenger's seat, but given the fact I couldn't even count the amount of wrong turns he'd sent me through on one hand, during just this trip across town, I thought it pretty safe to say he was failing.

"Maybe you got it mixed up, we could always go tomorrow instead-" I tried to make it sound like I was vaguely disappointed by this idea, solely to keep from offending him, but apparently it wasn't even necessary because he paid me no attention, his eyes again glued to his phone. I reached the end of the street and he still hadn't said anything, my breath short and pointedly gruff as my impatience ate away at me. I didn't know which way to turn, he had to tell me what we were doing next, there were cars lining up behind me, I was about ready to snap when he suddenly spoke up.

"Siri, give me directions to The Sushi Way from here?" My moment of relief was immediately snatched away from me when I realized I wasn't actually the one the conversation was directed at, that he was still only talking to his phone rather than taking the time to reply to me when I clearly wanted him to. Of course I was trying not to outwardly display my annoyance, because it'd probably only look clingy or weird for me to be this upset over something as stupid as him not giving me his attention. So as the phone started listing off directions to a place I'd never been before, I listened closely and quietly, not daring to argue.

"It's on the road over." Phil exclaimed, like it hadn't been obvious I was listening as well. I just nodded, steering the car in the correct direction and ignoring Phil as he launched off into more descriptions of the place. I doubted I'd need them, I could just look for the sign, and I'm sure he'd let me know when we were in even a fifty foot radius.

Sure enough, as we drove in a slow crawl down the crowded one-way street, Phil's mouth was moving eons faster than the wheels. His hands flew up to point desperately toward the building in front of us like he was trying to chart a blind man's path and I only nodded dismissively. Realizing I wasn't really paying attention to his hand gestures he instead gave a loud sound of exclamation, leaning forward in his seat so he was forced into my line of vision, even if just to the side. "That's the place!"

"So I guessed." I muttered lowly, accidentally forgetting to hide my irritation. I risked a quick glance in his direction to see if I'd offended him, not expecting to be as fascinated with what I saw as I happened to be. His attention was not on his phone or directing me anymore, instead his eyes were glued to the building in front of us, wide with an excitement that I'd never seen on even his face before. It wasn't even just childish elation, because I'd never seen a face this stupidly bright even on a kid. Surely, he couldn't be that excited over just some stupid restaurant, even food couldn't be that good. Is it possible... he's excited to be here with me?

"Doesn't it look cool?" He whispered, catching me off guard and bringing me back to the present moment. Thankfully, he hadn't looked away from the building and caught my reckless gaze, apparently too interested in it to even risk a split second not ogling the architecture. Not that I minded, as far as I was concerned it was a blessing now that he was so preoccupied, my cheeks dusted in a faint pink as I forced my eyes back onto the road in front of me. My heart was racing in my chest again but this time I thankfully had a proper excuse to brush it off on, that I was just anxious after not paying attention to the road because I'd faced the risk of crashing Phil's car. It had nothing to do with Phil himself, why would he make my heart race?