The Health Teacher is a High Hippie

A day or so past, Chad still hadn't made a move and I was getting nervous. Meg drove me into school and I vented all my fears to her, she told me I was too paranoid about the whole thing.

"But you've met the sneaky bastard, I can't let my guard down for a second unless he strikes."

"You know he's really not as bad as you make out, besides I thought you were warming to him" she replied "you seemed pretty impressed by his handling of the texting episode."

I didn't reply, knowing she was to some degree right.

"What class do you have first?" She asked, trying to restart the conversation.

"Oh I'm over at the sports block for Social & Health, just drop me at the car park and I'll make my way over." I replied.

Meg did as I asked and I thanked her turning in the direction of the sports block. The sports block is on a separate site to the rest of the school, so getting there involves around a five minute or so walk with a few twists and turns. Your normally shown over on the first day by a teacher and hope that someone in your class has a good memory, else it's a case of trial and error and you can find yourself easily lost.

I dawdled a little, not really wanting to get to health class, and caught sight of a figure down the cul de sac to my left. I headed towards them, knowing the cul de sac is the point in the journey to the sports hall where it is easiest to go wrong. But as I draw nearer, I can see that the lost person is too large to be the ickle first year I first suspected them to be, but rather it is badass school musical in all his terrible glory. I tried to sneak away quietly, wishing to doom him to wandering the streets and getting a late mark and had just reached the corner when I heard a shout.

"HEY LEXI! LEXI! HEY! WAIT UP!"

I inwardly cursed, debating whether to succumb to the desperate desire the make a run for it or not. It was one thing ditching an oblivious person, but to ditch someone who knew what you were doing, well even I hadn't stooped that low, yet. I paused and allowed Chad to catch up with me.

"Got a bit lost have we?" I asked.

"Who me? No, I know exactly where I am, I'm Christopher Columbus, I am." he replied.

I snorted at that and said "What, the same Christopher Columbus who landed in America and thought he'd found a quicker route to India"

"What?" Chad exclaimed, nearly stumbling off the curb in either confusion or shock.

"There's a reason they're called the West Indies... the guy thought he was in India. If ever there was a man how simply didn't posses the ability to accept when he was wrong, it was dear old Chris. " Chad looked at me, torn between shocked and amused."So yeh, Christopher Columbus sums you right up, especially since you seemed to think that the cul de sac back there was the sports block"

I rather expected, and I'll admit, to some degree hoped, that my explorer friend would well and truly pissed off at my statement, but instead of getting offended, Chad burst into laughter.

I was getting a little sick of misjudging this guy.

"Oh well, I tried I guess. In all honesty, I thought I'd found a short cut, but the road was a dead end." He chuckled

"Well that is the expectation with a cul de sac" I replied

Pink spots began to appear on the apple of Chads cheeks.

"Well, I didn't realise it was a cul de sac until I reached the end did I?" He shot back, embarrassed.

"No? The road sign stating Highlee Cul de sac didn't give it away in the slightest?"