Chapter 29

What a trip this has been in my first half of a year in New York. It's been crazy to say the least. But today is the winter ball and a nice time to celebrate the holidays with my friends here.

Today is also the day of Connor's wedding. I spoke with him a couple of times since our meeting at Central Park a few weeks ago and he was still unsure about the whole thing, but he was going along with it. I haven't heard from him today yet, but I'm sure he's busy getting ready.

I am too. My dress came in earlier this week and it fits perfectly. I absolutely love it! It is a fitted light lavender strapless dress. The bodice is crisscrossed and lined in sequence and there is a sheer tulle overlay from the waist down. I pin my hair back in a simple low bun and keep jewelry to a minimum because the dress is so beautiful on its own. I make sure to wear my mom's necklace, but that's all. I find my favorite jeweled peep toe pumps and slide them on my freshly painted toes.

Lauren is dressed in a very plain halter dress, but it is neon pink, so it kind of makes up for the lack of design. She straightens her hair for the first time in a while and slips on some black pumps to match her clutch.

We help each other with hair and makeup and try to look all pretty. Most of our work is null when we stop by the Hardees' drive through on our way to Rockefeller Plaza. There will be hors d'oeuvers at the ball, but we are hungry now, so we are stopping to get the cheesy fries. We are careful not to spill any on our dresses, but eating while driving probably isn't the smartest idea we've ever had.

We laugh and joke all the way to the plaza and it's times like this when I am reminded of how lucky I am to have her. She doesn't even realize how much she means to me, but I like it that way.

It is a cold December day a few days before Christmas, but it's a beautiful night other wise. The plaza is blocked off for our party only and all of the bare trees are cloaked in white lights. The annual giant Christmas tree is lit up beautifully on the lawn and the whole area is crowded with people in fancy dresses and suits.

We find a parking spot a couple of blocks away and have to walk to the plaza. We do one of those run/walk jigs because it's so cold out here and don't have jackets. The plaza will be heated with body heat and lots of tall heaters so we didn't think about bringing something for our walks.

We finally make it to the venue and stand at the stop of the steps, looking down on the party. There are people in suits with white gloves walking around serving appetizers and drinks. There is soft music playing from a band and the whole place looks very regal.

"Ready?" Lauren asks me.

"Ready." I nod and we carefully pick up the skirts of our dresses to start our descent to the party.

As soon as we step foot on the floor, a server is at our side to offer us drinks. We each take a glass of champagne and thank the waiter before we start to explore. We pick up some snacks along the way and be careful to not drop it on ourselves. I can already see it happening that one or both of us will ruin our gorgeous dresses before the night is over.

A lot of the hors d'oeurves are fancy like bruschetta, cheese, lamb, and clearly not suited to my pallet. I take some of the chocolate dipped strawberries and I eat the bread after I scrape off the bruschetta. I knew I should have gotten more of those cheesy fries at Hardees earlier.

"Well look who the night brought in." Randy greets us while we are admiring one of the ice sculptures.

"Hey, Randy!" we both chirp at the same time and give him a hug.

"You two look absolutely stunning" he holds one of each of our hands and has a spin around for him.

"Who is this by?" Randy points to my dress as he inspects it closer.