Chapter 23

"Thank you so much for your help!" the bride hugs me tight.

"Of course. I'll get right on this." I smile and tuck my sketchpad under my arm. I follow my guests out of my office and head towards the elevator to go back upstairs for my break.

I've been here for only a month, but I'm not only a model anymore. Some how Randy got wind of my drawings and I have no idea how. I don't know if Lauren tipped him off or if I left a sketch one time in the break room and he saw it totally on his own, but he found them and got super excited. There is a bridal shop on the first two floors of the building and they were looking for new designers for their dresses. Not one to make an entire line of dresses, but one to work one-on-one with clients to create the bride's dream dress. Basically it's for the richest and pickiest brides in New York.

I still get to be a part time bridal model because I really enjoyed that job and didn't want to give it up completely so I work half as a model and half as a designer. Lauren is forever amazed as to how quickly I can move through the ranks at any job and I can't say I really mind. My education from L.A. helped with my fashion design ability and I actually enjoy that part of my job. Thankfully, I don't have to make the dress; I just draw it.

I take off my red pumps in the elevator. They are brand new shoes that I haven't quite broken in yet, but they looked cute with this black dress and red necklace, so I just had to wear them. I am regretting my decision now, but I only have a few more hours to go and I'll be done.

When I get off the elevator, I go straight to Lauren's office and dig through my purse until I find Neosporin and a band aid. I am sitting in her rolly chair taking care of my blisters when her door opens more.

"Oh, hey, Mere! What are you doing up here? Did you finish early?" Lauren pipes.

"No, just getting some band aids in between appointments and taking a break for a minute." I hold up my band aid wrapper before throwing it in the trash.

"Oh okay. Well while you're here, you can meet my new intern." She waves a girl in as I slip my heels back on and stand up.

I smooth out my dress and when I look up, I almost fall back down in the chair. I gasp, but end up choking on my air, typical me.

"Surprise, bitch. Did you miss me?" The new girl smirks and leans her hip against the doorframe.

"What are you doing here?" I seethe.

"Didn't you hear? I'm the new intern." Her voice is thick with fake friendliness and a heavy dose of sarcasm. She hasn't changed one bit.

"You two know each other?" Lauren looks clearly surprised at my reaction.

I give her the look "I-know-you're-not-that-stupid." "Lauren." My voice is flat and annoyed.

My friend looks back and forth between my step monster and myself. Suddenly realization sets in, "Oh! Oh, Savannah your... and this is Savannah... and ... oh." She points between us at first happily, then she realizes what she's done by the end.

"Lemme guess, she's my replacement." Lauren's face is apologetic and I brush her off. "Un-freaking-believable. Another thing mommy bought for you huh?" I turn my attention back to Savannah.

"Something like that." Savannah smirks and looks at her nails.

"What's the hold up, ladies?" Randy appears in the door.

"Lauren just had to pick something up. We're coming." She flips her hair over her shoulder and steps out of the room to stand next to Randy.

"Oh, Meredith, you're up here. I see you met our new intern?" Randy smiles innocently to me.