Aftermath

XI.

Zayn and Liam went through the door to find Harry pacing in the entrance. When he heard the door open, he paused and looked over, “Are you okay?”

Liam ignored his question, “Is he here? Is he okay?”

Harry cringed and tilted his head to one side, “He will be, Niall’s with him.”

Liam tried to relax his shoulders, “Okay. Where is he?”

“He’s in our room. Mine and Niall’s.”

Liam nodded his head and started to walk forward but halted, not knowing where to go. He puffed out a breath of air, a habit he picked up from Louis, “I messed up guys,” he whispered out and started crying again.

Zayn’s face fell and he held onto Liam’s shoulder as Harry stepped over and took Liam into his arms, “It’s okay, Li. It’s gonna be okay.”

Harry rubbed his back, “Zayn, take him to your room. Take care of him,” Harry gave Liam one last squeeze and pulled away, leaving Liam at arm’s length, “It’s gonna be okay,” he kissed his forehead and handed him over to Zayn.

Zayn folded Liam into his side and led him to his room. On the way to his room, they passed Niall and Harry’s room and Liam looked down, knowing that Louis was in there. He was probably crying his eyes out and it was because he was an idiot.

Meanwhile, as Zayn led Liam away and Harry sat in the living room, tense and waiting for Niall to come out of their bedroom to hear the damage, Niall had Louis curled up in his lap, a comforting hand running through his hair.

Louis was saying something but Niall couldn’t tell what it was as he was still crying. Louis was shaking his head, burying his face into Niall’s chest.

“Louis it’s okay, alright? Look at me, hun.”

Louis’ face remained buried in his chest, “C’mon, Lou.” Niall cupped a hand under the brunet’s chin and raised his face to look at him, “There. Now just breathe, okay?”
Niall’s hand returned to petting Louis’ hair and the other rubbed at his back. Louis’ head fell back into his chest.

Eventually Louis stopped crying and he rolled over, splayed out on his back, “I fucked up, Ni.” He sniffled, eyes watery and face wet, “I really, really fucked up.”

“It’s gonna be okay, Lou.” Niall promised, squeezing at his forearm, “You guys always work it out.”

Niall smiled and Louis broke again, tears falling again, “Lou.” Niall slid down to tuck Louis into his side, one hand at the back of his neck as Louis buried his face in his neck.
Louis cried for a long time and then it faded into sniffles and then even breathing. Niall slipped out of the bed, covering Louis up and exiting the room quietly.

Harry was on the couch, and as soon as he heard the door, he jumped up, “How is he?”

Niall slid his hand down Harry’s arm and coaxed him back into sitting, “He’s asleep now. What about Liam?”

Harry reached out to pull Niall into his side, “Zayn came in here earlier and said that he fell asleep, was really upset.”

Niall nodded, curled his legs under himself and pushed his face into Harry’s neck. Harry layed his head on top of Niall’s, “Do you think they’re gonna be okay?”

“I don’t know, Nialler. I hope they’ll work it out but this is the worst break up they’ve ever had.”

They didn’t talk much after that and Niall left to go back to their room to sleep with Louis. Be there if he needed someone.

If Niall woke up in the middle of the night to find Louis hunched over the side of the bed crying, no one mentioned it the next morning.

XII.
After that, things were bad.

Things were terrible. Louis and Liam slowly drifted away from each other. Whenever one of them would walk into a room, not long after the other would excuse themselves and leave. It hurt everyone. I mean, in all honesty, things had never really been this bad. After the other breakups, they still acted like a couple but this time they couldn’t even look at each other. As if the situation were so fragile even the slightest confrontation would make everything crash to the ground.

Liam and Louis acted like they didn’t even know each other, but it was tearing them apart inside and the others knew it.

Most nights Louis slept in Niall and Harry’s room. He couldn’t cope with Liam pretending he didn’t exist.

Liam didn’t take it well either. They all still had classes to get to and they still lived together so it made it difficult.

Most of the time Liam spent his nights in his own room, but if Zayn offered him a spot next to him in his bed, he accepted.

XIII.

“Louis?” Niall asked quietly from Louis’ side.

“Yeah?” Louis looked over to meet Niall’s gaze.

Niall exhaled a lung-full of air, “He’s not gonna show up.”

Louis cringed slightly. He and Liam had broken up two weeks ago, he should be over it. It shouldn’t even matter, they should be friends again by now but it still hurt every morning to not see Liam coming through the doors of the coffee shop, bright and early asking Louis to make his usual.

“Yeah I know, but,” Louis didn’t continue. Just left it there and let his words fall out.

Niall gave him a small, tight smile and rubbed his shoulder, “It’s gonna be okay.”

XIV.

“He misses you a lot, ya know.” Niall looks up from where he was washing dishes, tries to catch Liam’s eye but he’s looking down at his feet, “He really regrets everything he said. Everything that happened but he’s prideful and he won’t admit he’s wrong.”

Liam just nods a bit, keeping very still. He nods again and Niall begins to say his name, but Liam cuts him off, “It was the biggest mistake I think I ever made.” His eyes are misty now and his bottom lip is wobbly. Niall dries off his hands and makes his way to Liam, “It was so stupid, I don’t even know why we broke up anymore.”

Niall pulls Liam into a hug, arms curling around his neck and petting at the short hairs tickling at his collar. Liam tucked his face into Niall’s neck.

“It’s gonna be okay Liam,” Niall whispers into his shoulder.

Liam sniffs and nods his head, “Yeah.” He whispers shakily, “It’s gonna be okay.”