Part 16//Balance Between The Brain And The Brawn

Disclaimer: In a parallel universe, I could own the rights to Naruto. But...in another parallel universe parallel to that one, Naruto may not even exist...I don't know how I feel about that. LMAO

Author's Note: Hey! So...just a little bit more than two weeks. I wish I updated faster, but hey: I updated kinda quick and on schedule. Yay! Anywho, no more distractions for now. I'll let you get to the story. Hope you all enjoy :)

"...alright, finally finished." Shikamaru sighed in relief.

Ten hours had passed since Orochimaru's attack on Team Three. Shikamaru's teammates were still knocked out. The Nara had spent the time getting them to a clearing, taking care of them, and rigging the surrounding area with traps for any possible threat. After three hours of design and work, Shikamaru had set up enough traps to feel satisfied and remotely safe. He proceeded to walk to a tree. His teammates were lying down underneath it with two of Naruto's clones watching over them.

'Thank God you created all of those clones at the beginning of the exam Naruto.' The Nara noted. The two clones had found him to give information on a team with a heaven scroll, but they were able to help with watching over and taking care of his teammates.

"Oi Shikamaru! You finished all the traps and stuff?" One of the clones asked.

"Yup. They'll keep animals and some weak teams away. And if something strong actually comes our way, they'll notify us that they are nearby." He answered with a yawn.

"You're tired, aren't ya? You should get some sleep." The other clone suggested.

Shikamaru shook his head. "Sorry, but if something happened to you guys and you dispelled, then no one would be able to protect Naruto and Hinata. I'm going to stay up at least until one of them wakes up."

The clone shrugged in response. They turned their attention back to Naruto and Hinata, making sure they were still okay. Shikamaru walked over to them and sat down by his unconscious teammates.

'How hard did Orochimaru hit you guys? Seriously. I'm surprised you both are still knocked out...' Shikamaru wondered before he shook his head. 'I shouldn't complain. We're lucky we got out of that situation alive.'

Shikamaru stayed by his friends' sides, watching over them with the clones. His eyes were slowly shutting, but the Nara would open them wide the second he realized what was happening. Time passed by slowly...

Around an hour later, a loud explosion occurred, alerting Shikamaru and the clones. The lazy genius left the cover of the tree and headed out into the clearing. He listened carefully for any more sounds...

'...damn, someone's coming. I can hear movement. And I can't hear any more traps, so they're avoiding the rest of my traps...this is bad.' Shikamaru noted. He then turned to the clones, who had just walked out of the cover of the tree. "Guys, do me a favor and get Naruto and Hinata out of here. Take them somewhere with some kind of cover like another tree like this or a cave if you can find one. I'll catch up with you guys there!"

"What about you?" One of the clones asked. "If someone's coming, then you're going to need help. You can't take on a team by yourself!"

"I have no intention of taking them on. Just stall them for a little bit. I got a plan." He answered.

Shikamaru then turned his attention back to the clearing. Seconds later, a team from Takigakure jumped down into the clearing. They stood across from him. Shikamaru actually recognized the team.

"Hmm? Aren't you the girl who told the proctor that she wasn't afraid of the forest?" He asked.

"Hmph! What of it?" Asuna grumbled in response.