Chapter Five

Katara's POV

We walked in silence for the rest of the walk. But I was angry. Not at Percy, not at Master Pakku (well ok a little bit), but at Fire Nation. Not only had they taken my mom and my little brother away, but they had done what I can only assume as awful things to him. He had always been excited when it came to our little lessons back at the Southern Tribe. He was only seven so we didn't exactly learn how to fight, but he'd always been very good at it. The water seemed as if it wanted to serve him. But Fire Nation had gotten rid of that excitement. And it made me sick.

And the more I looked at him, the more I noticed. Scars that couldn't have been from tripping, but from burns, and shattered glass. And I could only see what wasn't covered up by his clothes.

Soon we arrived at the little hut that Sokka, Aang, and myself were staying in. I slipped inside and Percy followed me. Sokka was laying on his sleeping bag looking sad. Percy poked him with his foot.

"What, oh Percy! It's you!"

"Yep!" Percy us his crooked smile that I remembered so well from when we were kids. "Can I stay the night with you guys?"

"No, it's not like it's been literal years since we've seen you and we want to spend every single moment that we can with you."

"I see your still sarcastic as always."

"Where have you been staying anyway? When we where outside you said that you've been here for a year, so do you stay with someone else or...?"

"Oh uh," his cheeks turned red and he stared at his shoes. "I've kinda been living with Pakku."

"That sexist jerk!? Why!?" I might've raised my voice a little bit to high than what was needed.

"I guess he was just the first one to offer?" Percy shrugged.

We just started talking, about whatever came to out minds.

————

"So how'd you end up here anyway? Last time we saw you you were being... yeah." Sokka asked the question that I had been about to ask. We both stared at Percy for a reaction. He suddenly found a loose string on his coat that seemed very interesting to him.

"Well after the... raid, one of the soldiers' said that he wanted to uh 'keep me.' And I guess they just let him. So for the next...while... I stayed with a Fire Nation soldier that would torment me and... hit me... so anyway he had to go on a mission to try and do something up here, at the North Pole, and I knew there was tribe so I just, snuck onto the boat, then snuck off of the boat, then passed out in the snow, then woke up here?" As he was telling the whole story, he wouldn't meet out eyes, and instead just twirled the loose thread on his jacket.

"But didn't you just say that you'd only been here for a year? And you were taken like six years ago? And" he cut himself off, realizing what Percy had meant by 'the next while.'  "I'm sorry."

He got no reply. We sat in silence until Aang walked in. "UGHH."

"I take it training isn't going well? Now that I think about it, weren't you supposed to be with him, Katara?" Sokka pointed at me.

"He won't teach her cause she's a girl." Aang flopped down on his sleeping bag.

"Then why doesn't Aang teach you?"

"That's a good idea, Sokka! It's a great idea!"