⚔ Chapter 3

Ran started her day with a smile determined to put the first day behind her and look towards the future. Agmundr had been a nice man and it couldn't be that hard to spend more time with him. Her spirits threatened to drop at her thought of Vadlr but she pushed him quickly from her mind, determined move forward. Grabbing a cup of orange juice from the kitchen, Ran strolled out through the little village just to see how everything looked in the daytime with people everywhere. There were rows of tables set up with produce and other foods. There were men working a very large garden and then there were a small section of men that were sparing. Intrigued Ran walked closer watching the men fight, some with bare hands and some exchanging blows with swords. Agmundr was present and held up a hand as he walked over to speak, “Good morning Princess. How are you this morning.”

Ran smiled up at him but spoke as she watched the others. “I am fine Agmundr thanks for asking, I see everyone is doing their daily training.” He nodded, “Yes we do this everyday so that we don't get lazy and slip up when it comes time to fight the others.”

Ran looked up with a puzzled look on her face, “The Others?” She asked confused. Agmundr didn't get a chance to answer as her father's voice surprised them as he answered from behind.

“Yes my precious girl, the others. I did not have you train simply so you would feel worthy of the warrior you joined with. The towns that surround us often have trouble with other worldly things such as vampires, rouge wolves and things that wish them harm. When they have this issue they call us, we gather the warriors and go eliminate the issue. In return they guard our secret of who and where we are. Allow us to live up here in peace and we often trade goods with them also. It is a smart partnership and it keeps us from getting bored the boys often enjoy the raiding trips just for some excitement. I want you to train with these men and learn from them so that you can accompany us on some of these less dangerous raids.” Ran smiled and nodded, “I would like that father. Do you go on any of these raids?”

He looked down at Ran and laugh, “I use to my sweet and I can honestly say I miss it but no, I can't afford the risk of being killed and no one left here to run everything. Well what are you waiting for you already have your training clothes on I see.” her father nodded to one of his staff and they walked over with a long case in hand. “This is for you my Princess.” Ran looked up at her dad with surprised eyes as a hush fell over the men that had been moments ago sparing. Ran slowly walked over to lift the lid with a gasp. There in the box sat a beautiful leather case that had been embellished with rubies. Inside were three knives the length of swords. But as she pulled one out it was much lighter. Stepping back she twirled the sword in her hand loving the sound of the blade slicing through the air. With a smile and a squeal she ran to her father and kissed his cheek as she hugged his neck. “Father they are beautiful.”

He smiled as he ran a hand down her hair. “Well Princess I have about ten years of spoiling to make up for now don't I?” He laughed and then pulling his mask back over his face looked to his warriors. “I am leaving my daughter in your hands men. Train her, protect her with your lives because if something happens to her, the guilty party dies.” With that he kissed Ran's cheek and walked away.

“I can't believe we now have to babysit this Princess.” Fiak mumbled. Agmundr took a step towards the man but Ran simply smiled as she laid a hand on his chest. Walking over to the man to face him, she was surprised when she caught what she instinctively knew was Valdr's scent at her back, in seconds she felt the heat from his body as he stepped close backing her up. It was all she could do not to close her eyes and pull his scent into her deeply. She never stopped to wonder at these new changes taking place, she was too focused on controlling it. Looking up at Fiak with a wicked gleam in her eye she addressed the men. “Who is in charge of you men?” She shivered as the voice at her back answered, “I am.” She nodded her head with a smile, “Then I ask you as our Commander to grant me the permission to spar with this man and show him just how much I need his protection.” She was met with a silence, she turned enough to look up into Valdr's face. His eyes were locked on Fiak though and he looked ready to kill the man himself. “Valdr it is time that I shut this man's mouth for him. I can't keep expecting you and every other warrior to defend me when I have been trained to stand beside my warrior life mate. I need to be the one to do this.” Valdr's eyes dropped to hers and she saw the conflict in his eyes.