⚔ Chapter 2

Ran’s laughter came to an abrupt halt when she and Catharina was forced to stop short to keep from running into Fiak. He still carried the anger from earlier as he looked at Ran as if he could kill her. “It wasn’t smart to publicly humiliate me in such a way Princess; I am one of the best soldiers here in this camp.” Ran squeezed Catharina’s arm in nervousness as she replied as nicely as possible. “Fiak this is my future we are discussing and I never meant to humiliate you but you cannot expect me to choose you as a mate when the only interest I felt from you was that of the interest for the Chieftain throne and not in me at all. My father might have chosen his best warriors to honor but you forget I am also his daughter and he will not force me into anything or on anyone.” Fiak stood looking down at her his breathing growing labored by his anger. Ran truly started to worry this man might do something foolish until she felt a strong hand at her back as a very large body stepped in front of her. She knew by the long braid that hung down his back that it was Valdr that had come to their rescue. She was as surprised as she was excited, maybe this man did have some interest in her after all.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the low menacing voice that she hadn’t expected. Sounding very intimidating and full of authority that he obviously expected to be obeyed. Yes, her father had made a great choice with this man because spoke as a natural born leader. She would defiantly hate to be on the receiving end of that voice.

 “Fiak just what do you think you are doing, disrespecting the Chieftain’s daughter. She was given a choice and you blew that chance. It is not her fault your greed overshadowed your charm you seem to think you carry. You were the only man in the group conceited enough to prance in front of her like a peacock with its feathers on display. None of the other men dared think themselves worthy of this chance. You dared to think it was as good as done for you. Your arrogant ass, is beneath the Princess.”

“And what of you Valdr you think yourself worthy of this chance? You stood up before her the same as I.” Fiak spit back getting closer to Valdr as if to challenge him. “You do not want to challenge me here Fiak, or maybe you do. If you have a problem with me let’s make it apart of the festivities and I will take you apart with witnesses.”

“Brilliant idea Valdr.” They all turned at the booming voice from behind them. It was too late to call back his words as Ran’s father Rulf heard the challenge laid down and saw fit to allow Valdr to teach Fiak, what Ran worried would be a hard lesson for him. Ran turned to look back at Valdr when she heard his sigh. His failure to respond to the first question Fiak presented didn’t escape her notice, did he feel worthy of her and Chieftain?

Pulling away from Catharina, she took a deep breath pulling her confidence around her as everyone expected of her and stepped forward as she laid a hand on Valdr’s chest and looked up into his stone cold face, “Valdr, you don’t have to do this. I appreciate you coming to our rescue but I never meant for it to get this out of hand.”  The slight twitch that she seen earlier in his mouth that to her seemed to indicate a smile threatening returned as he shook his head, “I will not as a most honored warrior of my people stand by and watch this disgrace to our tribe, speak with such disregard to a woman. Especially, the Chieftain’s daughter on her special day.” Valdr turned his head to look back at Fiak. “Come on boy, let’s see if you and your fists can live up to that giant ego you carry. I challenge you to a fight for the Princess honor.” Fiak looked at Valdr with a sneer and walked back towards the fire. Valdr looked down at Ran one last time and then walked slowly by her towards the appointed area.

“Oh dear this isn’t good Ran.” Catharina sighed as she again grabbed Ran’s arm to follow the men. “You're telling me Auntie we have only just arrived and already there is a scorned lover.” Catharina burst into laughter as she shushed Ran who simply dropped her head with a snicker she tried to muffle. “I swear you have read too many romance novels young lady.” She shook her head as they reached the place where they were to fight. Valdr pulled his shirt from his body and without thinking; Ran stepped up to take it. Valdr seemed surprised but handed it over as he watched her step back. Ran blushed under his stare but smiled as she folded the shirt against her and she crossed her arms over it holding it to her chest.