Cold ( Specs x reader)

It was a cold December day in New York. It's winter time, which means at least 100 layers of clothes or else you'll freeze, nah it's more like 4 or 5. You got up a bit earlier so you would have more time to get dressed in private. Not that any of the boys would look, just you like to have some privacy, peace and quiet before the boys get up. You get up about 20 minutes before everyone else and you walk over to the washroom, grabbing your winter clothes from the closet everyone's clothes are kept in. You pick your thickest pants, socks with the least amount of holes, and a long sleeved grey button-down flannel with and darker grey vest to put over it. You bring your clothes into the washroom, changing in one of the separate stalls. You fold your night clothes, putting them on your bunk. You walk out to the common room just to sit in peace for awhile when you see Specs, your crush.

"Mornin' Specs" you say rather quietly

"Morning y/n! How'd you sleep?" Specs replies quite enthusiastically.

" Pretty well actually, thanks for asking." you reply hearing voices from the other room in which newsies began to flood out some in the common room some into the washroom. After a flood of 'good mornings' and 'hellos' everyone gets dressed and we head to get our papes.

Time skip cause I'm lazy

After lunch with all the newsies you all went out selling the last of your papes. You has decided to sell by yourself today. As you sold your last papers the sun was setting and the wind began to blow, sending a chill down your body. You begin to walk back to the Lodging House when it starts to rain, making it even colder than you already were. You picked up your pace and the rain began to fall steadily. You were about at the Lodging House when it began to pour. You ran as fast as you could, reaching the house you tried to open the door but to avail. You look in the side window seeing several of the younger newsies holding the door shut. The rain and wind picked up even more as you kept knocking on the door. At this point you were freezing, you began shouting.

"Let me in!! This isnt funny boys!!" You were freezing and soaking wet when you hear a familiar voice.

" What are you boys doin- Oh my lord!" Specs got all of the boys away from the door, seeing you standing in the cold rain, drenched and shivering, he immediately helped you inside. You were met upstairs by Elmer and Race. They immediately ran to your side as you almost collapsed you were so cold.

" Wha-what happened to ya sis?" Race questioned. You look up at Specs, too weak to answer.

"Some of the younger Newsies thought it'd be funny to hold the door closed on y/n" Specs answered Race's question. Both Specs are Race glared at the younger newsies.

"You and me, we'll be havin a chat later" Race says sternly to the boys. Race and Specs help you to the washroom as Elmer grabbed you some extra clothes of Race's and some of the boys had socks they let you borrow. Race went into the washroom with you to help you change. He gave you one of his larger shirts and pants and socks without holes in them from Specs. After you changed Race picked you up bridal-style and put you on his bunk.

" Oh my god.." You hear Elmer gasp after coming up with extra blankets.

"Wh-what is it?" You ask. Elmer points to your hands, you bring them up to your face. The tips of your fingers have a blue-ish purple tint to them. You gasp at the sight as well. You look to Race who is looking at Specs.

"Race, get a pot of water onto the stove, and grab me a washcloth from the washroom." Specs looks at Race as he nods and walks into the kitchen. Specs grabs the other blankets from Elmer and put them over you, keeping your arms out. He grabs one of your hands and holds it in between both of his, you jerk away because the heat from his hands hurts yours.

"Hey, its ok, I know it hurts. I'm just trying to help you, I hate seeing you like this." Specs finishes his sentence as you smile a bit. Race walks back in with the pot and cloth. He sets the pot on the ground and hands Specs the washcloth ( Also fun fact this is how the "cured" frost bite back then, not sure how they do it now but anyway..)

"Race, you may want to go on the other side and hold her hand, this is gonna hurt her." Specs says as he puts the cloth in the pot and Race walks around to the other side grabbing your hand.

"Alright y/n, I know, this is going to hurt but if we don't do this quickly you could get worse. So, what I'm gonna do is wrap this cloth around your hand for about 5 or so seconds at a time." Specs looked at you for confirmation and you hesitantly shook your head. You closed your eyes and grabbed Race's hand. Specs wringed out the cloth and grabbed your hand, he wrapped the cloth around it and squeezed your hand in the cloth. You squeezed Race's hand, all you wanted to do was scream it hurt so bad. You thrashed around in your bed trying to get your hand away, but Specs had a strong grip on it. Tears started rolling down your cheeks as Specs let go of your hand.

"Shh..shh it's ok. Race wipes the tear away from your cheek. You see Specs begin to get up and switch spots with Race. Specs sits down on the other side waiting for a nod from you.

"I..i don't want to." You wail looking at your hand that was in Specs' other hand.

"I know, it'll be ok. I promise" Specs says kissing your knuckles. You nod in return. Specs repeats the process with your other hand. You continue thrashing letting out a smal wail of pain this time. After the second longest 5 seconds of your life you see Race walk away and hear him talking to the younger newsies. Specs sits on on the bed with you, you grab his hand.

"Thank you. Thank you for saving me." You say moving on of your hands from his to his cheek. Specs smiles.

"I hated doing that to you, I can't stand to see you in pain y/n" Specs looks at you and kisses your knuckles again. You see a few figures walk into the room, along with a taller one.

"Hi y/n..." one of the littlest Newsies says

"We's real sorry y/n, we wasn't tryin to make ya sick" One of the other little boys says. You look at them, they probably don't even realize what they've done.

" Ah boys, i'll be ok. Just don't go keepin' people outta this house again. Ya hear?" You say. They all nod.

"Now run along" Race says. The three boys run out.

"Don't stay up too late y/n, I want ya to feel better sooner than later." Race says giving you a kiss on the forehead.

"Goodnight Race"

"Goodnight y/n"

"I should probably let you sleep y/n, and besides we're probably gonna have to do this a few more times until you're all good." Specs says gesturing to the cloth. You frown, as he answered.

" Do we have to?" you whine a bit.

"Yes we do" Specs kisses your knuckles.

"Sleep well y/n" Specs begins to get up and walk out of the room.

"Wait.." you say..

"Can you please just... stay with me a bit longer?.." You see Specs grin. He walks back, laying next to you. You put your head on his chest. Sure when you had to wake up to take care of your hands it was painful. But the fact that you're new boyfriend was helping you, was all that mattered. He would kiss your knuckles after each time with the hot water. From that moment on he was with you through sickness and in health.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Ok so this one is by far the longest but my favorite!! What do y'all think?