Meeting You

I zipped up my luggage, sighing in relief as I finished packing for good. I walked down my stairs, stumbling as I carried my bag down, relying only my unimpressive leg muscles. My mother stood at the bottom of the stairs, gleaming,
"Do you need help sweetie?"
I shook my head and gave a breathy laugh,
"I'm good mom-" I set the bag down and dust off my hands
"-Im just so glad to be done."
She set her hand on my shoulder
"Well! Lets get on the road then!" She was much more radiant than me. I wasn't exactly excited about moving from New York to Scranton, Pennsylvania. The middle of goddamn nowhere. I live in upstate New York with my now ex fiancé, Josh Schmidt. At least I used to. I can't afford to stay in my current apartment without a roommate, but I decided I entirely wanted to get out of New York. I didn't think I'd end up in a small town hell, but my grandmother lives there.

We drove for about three hours, I ran my fingers through my hair as I remembered I had to work on Monday. My grandma had set me up at some job with a paper company. I was in the middle of an evil transition from working as an artist to working in an office. I was shaken from my thoughts as my phone chimed. I had two new messages from "Don't Answer."
Don't Answer, and also, Josh Schmidt.
"What it we're making a mistake?" the text read. I scoffed and slapped my phone down into my lap.

"Y/n?! sweetie whats wrong?" she looked over.
I sighed, stifling tears.
"He texted me. And I don't want to respond."
She pulled over,
"Then don't. Don't text him. Block him. You're starting a new life. You're too young to be held down by any negativity. A new start.. block his number?"
I dropped my head. My thoughts echoed, "A new start."
"Okay." I looked up.
"Okay?"
"Yeah I'm gonna block him. You're right. I need a fresh start for good."
I spoke with hope, and I slight undertone of doubt. I was only doubting Pennsylvania. I unlocked my phone and held it towards my mom as I blocked him. She smiled, leaned over and hugged me. It was stiff and awkward, but it was a mom hug.. which was the best thing ever. 
We drove for another hour until finally reaching my brand new home, Scranton PA.
We shuffled a few bags of luggage up an awful amount of steps to reach my new apartment. It was a one bedroom, one bath.  A true palace. I set my bags down and looked at my mom.
"Can we sleep at grans?" I sighed. She pulled out her phone,
"of course let me ring her up.."
I watched her and went through my bags, putting my work clothes in. We packed into the car and I stiffened as my back hit the seat. I did NOT want to be back in the car, but sooner than later i'd be more comforted than I'd been in months. It was a short drive and I practically ran to hug my gran. There was a short amount of time between the greetings to my nan and the greeting to my pillow. I slept almost instantly, but it felt short lived as my alarm pulled me out of bed at 7:00AM.

"Morning Gran-" I whispered as I stumbled over to the coffee machine.
"Morning sweetie!" She turned around from the stove and handed me a plate of food. I inhaled my breakfast and coffee faster than I should've, but I had forgotten to eat the day prior.
I showered in the tiny, popcorn ceilinged bathroom, rushing as nerves flooded my insides. I questioned my nervousness, I had dealt with New Yorkers.. I can handle an office job.
I zoned out as anxiety distracted me and focused on my thoughts as I got ready. I slipped on a plain white dress shirt and a grey pencil skirt. I pulled myself into focus as I got into the car. It was cold and the sky was grey. Nothing new or exciting. I parked and set my head on the steering wheel and tensed as someone parked next to me. It was a bigger, reluctant looking black man. He paid me no attention and walked towards the building. I watched as more and more strangers pulled into the parking lot. A tiny woman, a tall,tall man, an average woman, an older gentleman and so on. I huffed, clenched my fists, and stepped from my car. I walked towards the building, hands shuffling as I tried to gather my belongings and transfer papers. I choked as I thud into a stiff object in from of me, I stumbled back
"uff-! oh god-"
"Are you alright?!" A male voice urged me. I looked up. It was the tall man. I froze-
"I uhm-"
He smiled and quirked his eyebrow, confused.
"oh god-! I'm so sorry!" I panicked. He smiled warmly,
"Hey don't worry about it!" he turned back to his friend and walked into the building as they chattered.I stood there and widened my eyes as I looked at my stiff reflection in the window. This was already an interesting start to my "New Start."
As I walked into the building, what I presumed to be my new boss, welcomed me excessively
"You must be y/f/n y/l/n! Welcome! Im michael and you are- wow! We needed some new eye candy huh pam?!" He laughed. I cringed and smiled to him and looked at the girl sitting in reception. He showed me over to a cluster of desks off to the side. I read the name tags "Angela" and "Oscar."
"You will be taking Kevins seat..!" Michael looked around and pulled the office chair out and motioned me to sit in it. I hesitated and looked to my new desk mates, they nodded leading me to sit in the chair.  He pushed it in and I shot him a fake smile, once again.
Lunch came quick after I settled in and introduced myself to my new colleagues. Angela was cold and didn't care to talk to me while Oscar was... normal and kind. I sat in the break room and stared down at my phone which had exactly zero notifications.
"Hey. You know that'll rot your brain.."
A stiff male voice spoke. I looked up to see a stranger with glasses and a piece of beef jerky he was grinding his teeth down on.
"I hope so" I scoffed at him as I looked back down.
The man I bumped to previously in the morning walked in,
"Jim, this new person has a rotting brain. You should get along well."
Jim quirked his eyebrow
"Hey, uh-" he chuckled,
"You must be the new kid, not just some straggler who face planted into my back..?"
I laughed and straightened out as I leaned towards him,
"Uh.. yeah! I'm y/n .. professional stranger bumper." He laughed and smiled as he opened the fridge... I watched him for a moment and felt strangely relieved. I wasn't too worried about working at Dunder Mifflin anymore.