Not What It Seems

Cont.p
I sighed and placed a hand on his head. He looked like a concerned puppy. There was nothing negative to him, not physically or emotionally. He just stood there watching me, waiting for a request or need that he'd immediately secure for me.

Right as he parted his lips to speak, the front door creaked open. He lunged towards the bedroom door and down the stairs. His voice echoed, aching with inconsistency and sourness, with his tone I could see exactly what his face looked like in my head.

The image faded as I heard Pam respond with just as much distrust. I oddly felt like a child listening to it's parents bickering. The flinching with each word. The pain. The fear. As silence finally flooded the air, I crept to the edge of the stairs,
"James?" I called out softly. My legs stiffened as I look down at what I was wearing. Jim's work shirt, underwear, and socks. I had no time to gush at the loveliness of it all, I could only panic.
"Really?" Pam spoke a faint whisper to Jim,
"Her?" They sighed in unison.I stepped back as her words jabbed at me like blades.

Shortly after, the front door opened and slammed shut. She was gone and the sound of her car pulling away seemed to be Jims cue to rush up the steps.

"You okay?" He tilt his head down at me. I nod as guilt flood over me. Was I ruining his life? hers even? I leaned over, teasing the reach of his arms. He quickly yanked me forward, my cheek squished into his chest as his arms rest on my back.
"Whats going through your mind kid?" his voice rumbled through my body.
"Uhm...Nothing as usual,"
I leaned into him as much as I could. I was trying to retain the physical feeling. It was hard, Jims arms were heavy and strong, but his grasp wasn't hurting me. His breathing was slow but comfortingly alive and he squeezed every now and then to remind me where I was.

"She hates me. Doesn't she?" I put my hands on his chest and pushed against him softly. He looked down at me, hesitant on what to say. I could see the struggle of comfort and truth behind his eyes.
"um, Pam ...doesn't hate anyone," he smiled. I sighed and crashed into his chest.
"Don't lie to me Halpert," my voice was muffled by his chest. He stifled a small chuckle as he stepped back and leaned over.

He leveled himself, trying to find my eyes. I was worried about him and how their breakup might actually be affective. He was good at pretending he was fine.

I sighed and looked into his eyes.
"Are you okay?"
He raised his eyebrows for a second, as if he was flinching at my words. He hesitated, again.

"I'm okay y/l/n, I'll feel better once we get to New York," he gave a dorky smile.

He was trying to distract me from the fact that he could ever be hurt. I just want him to be content.

I sighed and looked up at him with furrowed eyebrows,
"James listen to m-"
"You'll have no problem sharing a room with me then, right y/l/n?" he cocked his head to the side. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms as I looked away from him.
"Of course I'll have no problem, dork." I was flustered.

He smiled.
"good."
------------------------------------
Hi! Very short chapter, I apologize! next chapters will be longer. Can't wait to update <3!