5. Mike

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○
° CHAPTER 5: Mike °
○○○○○○○○○○●○○○○○○○○○○

To give and not expect.
To rise above and show up.
That's all it takes to keep a family.
~mirthykayla

It's been two weeks since Hazel moved her hand. Tony refuses to go a day without seeing her, his excuse is that when she wakes up she'll go back to travelling and he won't get to see her that often.

I can't go every day like he and his mother does after school. I have a busy garage to run, at times like these I wish I had an employee to do things in my absence.
Don't get me wrong, I do trust my employees, but some of my clients want me to do their cars myself and I don't know how to make them trust my men as I do. Most of these boys have mechanic qualifications while some grew up fixing cars and others I had to teach myself.

I remember Jabu, one of my most trusted men at work. He came from nothing, reminding me of my young self. He had recently moved into town and had a criminal record of theft. He had struggles finding a job because of that and I was more than happy to give him a chance he deserved. Someone gave me a chance when I was in need and it was my turn to help where I could.

His knowledge of cars went as far as starting it and driving off, but after spending months together with him, he was able to tell what the problem was just by listening to the sound of the car. He had a talent of putting puzzles together into something that made sense. Cars became his puzzles and he persued a diploma in mechanical engineering.

"Hi, dad." I heard Tony's voice.

Startled, my head hit the open bonnet of the car causing me to grit my teeth. "Son! What a lovely surprise!" I'm surprised I didn't cuss.

"Sarcasm doesn't look good on you, father. I apologise for startling you.

I smiled and put my hand out for a hug, he walked closer and hugged me. "What are you doing here?"

He took one of my tools, "Am I not allowed to spend time with my dad?" He playfully hit me with it.

I snatched it from him, "You're definitely allowed. Care to help?" I went back to the job at hand. "The owner will come get it tonight."

He moved next to me, "What would you have me do?"

After finishing the car and playing chess while waiting for the owner to fetch his car, we had dinner watching a movie on my television. Which is small compared to that of her mother's.

"How's your mother coping?" I asked drinking my soda.

Tony only shrugged, "Same old, same old."

"She's taking her medication?"

"Mhm." Was his reply.

"Why did you come here today? Don't take it the wrong way son. I'm used to spending only weekends with you."

"I missed you, that's all." He answered.

I only hummed and put the subject to rest.

The night went on as usual, working and showering then eating and dozing off on the couch. Whoever woke up first woke the other, sometimes though, either one grabs a small blanket to warm the other and let him sleep on the couch.