4. Carol

○○○○○○○○○○●○○○○○○○○○○
° CHAPTER 4: Carol °
○○○○○○○○○○●○○○○○○○○○○

To be one with another.
And watch them grow,
It remains a wonder,
How another grows inside another.
To hear one call you giver of life.
To see them need you like no other.
Such are mysteries,
When a mother is with child.
~mirthykayla

"How many times am I supposed to buy a...ball?" I asked confused.

"Stop acting out! The first one was bought by dad, and the second one by me. It's your turn." Hazel giggled.

"What's your brother doing with his balls? And why is he telling you not me? You're hours away!" I was going through the store journals.

"The ball gets old, Mom. And he asked me because I owe him a favour, and I'm telling you because you owe me one...Mom, I have to go. I'll call you after work."

I sighed, "Fine. I love you, have fun and be safe."

"I love you too, get Tony his basketball." She blew a kiss through the line and hung up.

"Boss, a customer..." Steve, my stylist employee, nodded towards my office door. I stood from the desk and followed him outside.

That was the last time I heard from my daughter, almost an hour before she had that accident.

"How is she?" Michael asked the doctor.

This question has gotten tiring because we get the same response every day...she's stable.

But this time it was supposed to be different, they took her for a brain scan.

The doctor kept a straight face, "She's not as responsive as someone who's waking up in a few hours but we're not looking at the worse case scenario."

I don't even want to know her name, I don't want to hold a grudge if Hazel doesn't make it. Michael even has her number.

She was always straight with us from the beginning, she says there's no better way of telling people bad news.

She continued, "She responds to pain, but not light. If you remember the first few tests we ran, her left pupil showed more brain injury than the right pupil and now she's showing signs of recovery. Don't get your hopes high, she's not suffering from irreversible damage but she might still wake up ten years from now. Nobody ever knows with comatose patients." She gave us a tight smile.

"Does she respond to sound?" I asked hopefully.

"No. Not yet." She answered.

"Thank you." Michael put his hand on the small of my back and we walked in her room.

Her wounds have healed and she's left with a deep scar right above her top lip. The hospital kept her hair short after the surgery.

Tony was already inside, playing with his PSP and talking to his sister. He never liked to hear the doctor's report. He said she should at least try to act a little hopeful.

In her defense, she was always honest with us, not selling us dreams. And I loved that about her.

"Hey son." Michael greeted him and sat beside him. I sat on the other side of the bed.