Passing Through | Yamagata Hayato

(Counter on your palm that depicts how many times you pass your soulmate)

You leaned against the train window, watching the buildings pass by at such a speed that you could not really see any details on them. 

As you saw the familiar bridge, which you passed every day on your way to school, approach, you straightened up to be able to look outside better. 

The familiar sight meant that your train was about to pass through a station that it didn't service. You glanced at your palm to check the number that was on it, 634, and then resumed your staring out the window.

As the train approached the station you could already see that, just like every day, a bunch of people stood in wait for their own trains. 

Without slowing down, your train rumbled through the station and even though you tried your best to make out faces in the crowd, you could barely tell the difference between men and women at the speed you were going.

With a sigh, you turned back to face in front of you after glancing at your palm again. 

635.

Six-hundred thirty-five times you had passed through this station since you had started high school. Six-hundred thirty-five times your soulmate had been standing at that very station. But since your train didn't stop at the station you had never had the chance to meet them.

The first day of high school you had been so nervous that you only noticed during lunch break that your counter had gone up from zero to one. You figured you were lucky and that someone at your school was your soulmate, but the next day your counter had already gone up to two before you walked through the school gates.

So on your third day, you had kept a close watch on your counter from the moment you left your house and that is how you found out that your counter would go up by one every morning after passing through a certain train station.

Both at the start of your second and third year, you had been nervous to see if your counter would still be going up. Since it kept going even after you went into your third year, you figured your soulmate was the same age as you were.

The same pattern repeated itself until the end of your third year approached, and with it graduation. 

You had tried to be proactive in the search for your soulmate, by going to his station in the weekend now and again, but of course you never found him there. It wasn't surprising, since you knew literally nothing about him. Not the way he looked, nothing about his hobbies or personality, the only thing you knew that he was at that one station every school morning.

And now that would most likely come to an end as well. When high school was over you'd be going your way and he'd be going his. The chances of randomly encountering each other again were very slim.

You heaved a heavy sigh as you could already see the bridge in the distance. The chime that indicated an announcement was about to follow made you perk up however.

'We are very sorry to announce that the train will have an emergency maintenance stop at the next station. You will be able to transfer to a new train on platform 3. We apologize once more for the inconvenience.'

You could hardly believe your luck, the next station! That was your soulmate's station!

Not able to contain your excitement you already stood up and made your way to stand at the door before anyone else did.

---

Hayato sighed as he shifted his bag from one shoulder to the other. His high school days were coming to an end and he was feeling particularly sentimental about it today.