40. Memories We Lost

Some people are best left in the past, along with your mistakes and regrets.

~Anonymous

***

"If you think that bitch is better than me then you can take your drunk ass back to her!"

Jane chuckled from her window. The Fletchers surely had a way of entertaining the neighbourhood's morning. Yesterday it had been Mr. Fletcher failing to get breakfast for the family, and today was him again getting drunk and calling Mrs. Fletcher thinking she was his side chick. Jane made sure she never missed those fights and was this was among the many who tuned in to watch what they had nicknamed Keeping Up With The Fletchers.

She was still enjoying the fight when a knock from the door interrupted her. She put down the cup of coffee she was holding and went to open the door. A frown formed on her face when she opened to find Stewart standing before her, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. She rolled her eyes when Stewart flashed him a smile and looked at her innocently like a dog waiting for its food.

"If you are here because of Marcus you can go back. He isn't here," Jane started, eager to get him off her neck.

"Bonkers! I had planned for us to go swimming now that he's actually closed school. Might he have told you where he was going?" asked Stewart.

"Good thing is I don't, although he mentioned something like he was taking someone to say goodbye to Sheila, I think," Jane answered.

Stewart's expression changed to a concerned one for about a second before he was back again, showing Jane his thirty-two whitened teeth.

"Do you know when he will be back?" he asked her.

"No, I don't. He'll call you when he gets back. Goodbye," Jane brushed him off and had started closing the door before Stewart blocked the door. He struggled against Jane to open and stuck his head inside.

"Now that no one's home, how about we stop acting like immature children and actually talk like adults, " He spoke as he strained to open the door. Damn! The woman was strong.

Jane stopped closing the door on him and faced him. "There is nothing to talk about actually, you are just here wasting your time."

Stewart stepped inside and looked at the bouquet of flowers in his hand, crushed and it's petals falling. Shamelessly, he extended them to Jane, who looked at them confused and disgusted.

"These were for you, but you spoiled them trying to lock your child's father out," he told her.

"So you're going to play the father-of-my-child card, huh?!" Jane asked, getting fed up.

"As long as it gets me near you lollipop," Stewart winked at her seductively. Jane rolled her eyes.

"Not a chance douchebag. Our relationship was like one of those free trials that usually end up with the user deleting the app after completing them," she explained to him.

"Except that the app can't be uninstalled. Our son Marcus caused the app to become in-built, so you just can't get rid of it whenever you want to," Stewart countered.

"What do you want Branwen?" Jane faced him.

"I just wanted us to talk. You know, like two mature adults," Stewart answered.

Jane picked up her coffee. "Good. It'll be like a million years before you decide to mature up."

"C'mon lollipop. Don't you remember the good times we had those days? You sneaking out of the orphanage so we could go to the movies. Me faking an illness so that I could skip school to come to see you," Stewart spoke. He hoped reminding her would at least give him some points in his quest for forgiveness.