Mom on the line

CHRISTINA

It's been a month since Graduation. I haven't seen any of my classmates besides the girls, of course. They've all been busy for we'll be entering college soon.

I tried contacting Leo these past few days. I wanted to see him before I leave for the states the day after tomorrow. But I guess that's not happening.

I tried checking his house every once in a while too. I changed my jogging route just so I could pass there, still, I only see their guard outside.

There was that one time when I saw one of their cars enter their gate. But no sign of Leo.

I've been flooding him texts more than ten times in a day - you could tell how clingy I am. I probably left 100 missed calls on his phone by now too. I'm not quite sure if he's playing hard-to-get-i-want-you-to-miss-me-friend thang.

I'm not annoyed, I just really feel sorry for myself that I actually tried to be friends with someone like him.

I don't regret anything, though, I simply don't get why the world thinks I deserve this.

Ugh.

Leo.

Where are you?

Suddenly, my phone beeps. I immediately look at it hoping that it's him and not just one of the girls asking me to hang out.

And yes, it is him.

I check the message right away.

Leo: Christina?

Not taking any doubts, I take this chance to call him. It takes about three rings until someone finally picks it up. Thinking why did it take that long? If he just texted me, then he still must be holding his phone. Oh, well.

I hear someone sigh. Not Leo's sigh though. I know his sigh too well, because I always hear it when he has nothing else to say. It doesn't sound like any boy at all too.

"Leo?" I say to whoever's on the line, "I'm really, really, really, sorry for flooding your message box! It's just that you've been avoiding me. You didn't attend graduation....."

Before I could even finish talking, some woman cuts me off.

"Uhm, Christina?"

It sounds so weird. Who the hell is this? Is this Leo's girl friend? Omg!

"Oh, sorry. Did I get the wrong number? I'm so sorry, miss" I apologize because if this was a wrong number then truly, it's embarrassing.

Leo never replies when I send him a text, he just tells me that he received it when we're already in school. But now that school's over, I'm quite unsure. Maybe this was all part of his prank or a practical joke.

"Oh, no, no... This is Leo's mom" the woman finally confirms.

Leo's mom? Relio Alves has a mother?! Well yeah, he just told me she gave birth but... Who's actually talking to me??? THE MUM.

"Oh. Good afternoon, ma'am! Sorry about...."

"No, it's okay" she cuts me off again.

"You have any message for Leo?" she asks with a different tone on her voice. It's like she's mourning or is still not finished crying.

Oh, so maybe, the mom fought with Leo and confiscated his phone? Nah.

"Oh, ma'am..."

"Please, call me Aunt Jean. I'm guessing this is Leo's girl friend" she says and I still hear her sob.

I wait until I stop hearing her weep, "Oh, no ma'am. I'm just a friend. Uhmm... I was just wondering where Leo was."

I hear her cry and imagine her lie to the ground as I mention Leo's name.

"Oh, aunt Jean... Is anything wrong? If you don't mind...."

She doesn't stop crying so I apologize as soon as possible.

"Oh, nevermind. I'm sorry, ma'am. No, sorry. I'll just call some other time. Sorry..."

Before I drop the phone, I hear Leo's mom call my name for the last time.

"Uhm... Christina!" she tries talking even if I still hear her crying.

"I'm sorry, I'm getting emotional" she pauses but I still don't say anything in reply, "It's just that... you're the only one who has a name saved in Leo's contacts on his phone besides us... I'm guessing you're a good friend"

Wow, that's flattering. But she's still crying and I don't know what to do. Shouldn't I have dropped the phone before she could even say my name? Oh my gawd I don't have any advice to give to her if she's having mom problems.

"But.... Leo's not feeling great" she says and she starts crying even harder.

I get goosebumps even if I don't know the entire story yet. A tear drops in one of my eyes after. I don't even know on which one.

"Uhm... Aunt Jean? Are you okay?" I ask, curious that she might actually tell me what's going on.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine" she says "But Leo's not."

"Can I visit him somewhere? Is he going to be okay?"

"Hopefully.... the doctor says...."

"Wait, the doctor?"

She just sighs, I hear her.

"He's going to be okay. It's fine, everything's fine" she repeats.

"Can I visit him?"

"No.... You have a great.... good life. You're very lucky."

Then she finally drops the phone.

I don't intend on calling her back... on asking her more questions. I know she'll only get hurt. What happened to Leo? That explains why he hasn't been attending to my calls and texts.

The doctor? What is he doing in the hospital if that's so? I've never heard of his name on the news these days, nor to my girls' gossips. So there shouldn't be any accident.

Wait, is that why there's a nurse who follows him around in his house? Like c'mon when I was there... I do have a nurse in the house but she only stays in one place.

Is that why Leo doesn't want friends because maybe they won't be able to accept him, or worse, it's contagious?

What happened to Leo? I don't have tomorrow to search for him in all the hospitals around the city. I can ask my dad to ask help from his assistant though. But what if Leo's in a hospital abroad?

Well, wherever he is. I hope he's okay...

I'll miss you. Goodbye for now.

---------------------------------------------