Heaven on Earth

Phoebus Benson didn't leave me and my mom completely. Sending in checks every other month and showing up for my birthday only to leave after a hour. When I turned thirteen I just told him to stop coming. He was a very wealthy man though, wearing fancy suits and leather shoes. He was forty-four but looked younger than his own age and forever handsome.

Didn't make me like him though. Yes he bought me expensive things but like my grandma always said "money can't buy you happiness." Love counted as happiness, right?

.:.:.:.

Dear Booky-Dee,

I'm this close to killing Adam right now, though he'll probably be the one killing me if I try. But he says he'll dye his hair as well. Doesn't make any better. Do you think I'll look good as a red head?

First sign of Phoebe going crazy: Asking a book a question.

Adam told me where we were going: San Diego. Not very exciting but I guess it was better than New Mexico - Ugh, living their my whole life was enough for me. And that's not the best part. . . No more motels! Yay!

We were going to this fancy hotel called the Charltons. But really, I could careless about the name - as long as it was pimps and ho-ho-hoes free, I was happy.

I'm tired I'll write in you later.

Write on,

Phoebe.

.:.:.:.

"Hi! Welcome to the Charlton Hotel, how may I help you?" The perky blonde receptionist asked. Her bright white teeth gleaming dangerously from the hotel's lights in my eyes.

Gee, over-enthusiatic much?

I narrowed my eyes and read her name tag, Kelli. I decided to rename her Perki.

"Hello," Adam greeted in his smooth manly-man voice. "We're looking for a two bedroom suite for three days and two nights."

Perki looked as if she could melt on the spot, her eye lids dropping like she was sleepy and her smile faltering albeit. Casually I slapped my palm against the marble counter top, snapping her out of whatever day dream she was having.

"O-.. Kay," She squeaked (finally) and turned towards the touch screen computer, after tapping a few buttons she handed us two cards to the hotel room. Her brown eyes still on Adam, I looked up to see him smiling at her. A polite smile I was sure but still a rush of jealousy slapped me in the face (scaring me shitless must I add) as I looked over and glared at Perki as Adam and I slowly walked towards the elevator. Perki's eyes still trained on us - on him.

I linked my arm with Adam's, taking him by surprise. Myself included. My whole face warmed up as I blushed, Adam met my eyes but I looked away as the elevator's doors started to close. I caught a glimpse of Perki.

She was glaring at me.

.:.:.:.

"Wow," I mouthed as I walked through the door, the incident that happened downstairs forgotten as I gawked at our hotel room. To the left of me was a kitchen - small - but still a kitchen with it's fridge and oven. To my right was a hallway that had three doors. The two bedrooms no doubt (restroom maybe?) and in front of me - oh boy - was a giant flat screen TV staring right at me. A blue-ray DVD player sat next to it along with a Wii. A black leather couch was across from it with two creme colored recliners beside it.

I walked forward, my eyes wide and my mouth a gap. I was sure I looked like a fish.

A soft, throaty laugh snapped me back to reality.

"I see you like the room," Adam said, amusement evident in his voice. I nod slowly, not turning around, I wasn't ready to face him. Literally.

"I can't believe this is ours for three whole days," I squealed and ran over towards the TV. I touched and - no lie - I saw the fucking light. Adam laughed again, almost a chuckle.

Two hours later I had already choosen my room, the master one of course, I didn't bother to unpack my clothes since there were few and picking a movie.

"OMG! I fucking love this place, you can order a movie from TV and they deliver it to your room! How-the-hell cool is that?! We should live her, no, we have to live here." I gushed as I scrolled down the menu. Heaven on Earth. I looked over to see Adam bobbing his head to some song playing on his iPod while reading a book.

Deciding to be annoying I ripped the ear bud out of his ear, cackling softly when he jumped in surprise.

"Watcha reading?" I asked coyly. He didn't answer, simply fiddled with him iPod and sat it down along with the black leather book.

"Nothing."

"Didn't look like nothing."

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Phoebe. . . I'm not in the mood." Being the dirty mind child I was, I laughed.

"That's what she said. . . " I choked out. Tears formed in my eyes as I continued to laugh at the lame joke, but they never shed.

Adam rolled his eyes, "will you pick a movie already or are you going to continue to be annoying?"

"Hmm. . . " I said, tapping my chin. "I'll choose the latter," I finally said. Score! Another eye roll.

"Just pick a movie," He groaned.

I smirked, "alright, alright. Don't get your panties in a bunch." I tsked and picked a random movie.

"How to train a dragon?" Adam questioned as he toed his shoes off. I shrugged.

"It's a classic," I said defensively.

And so we watched the movie without discussing the "Incident" and lived happily ever after.

The End.

Or well the movie ended and we went our separate ways to our rooms and fell asleep.

Another day, another dollar.

Or another opportunity to annoy Adam.

Double score!