Ten-Year-Old Me

Ten-Year-Old Me

I pressed the tip of the thermometer against the hot lightbulb until I heard the tell-tale sound of leather shoes tapping against hardwood floor.

Quickly I stabbed the stick in my mouth and ran back towards the cushy sofa, my hands in my lap.

My Dad walked in, running his fingers through his hair and rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. He was tall, taller than my Mom really, and always wore fancy clothes. He bought all the toys I wanted and only came over to the house, Mom's house, to pick me up.

I knew my parents weren't together anymore but they reassured me that they loved me and wanted what's best for me. Which leads to not being able to eat candy before 10...

"Okay, let's see if it's done," Daddy murmurs as he squats down to my level and pulls the thermometer out of my mouth. His eyes widen as he looks at the little screen, then he presses the back of his hand against my forehead. "This thing says that your 167 degrees," He mutters, "but you don't have a feel like you have a fever... How is that possible?"

He then stands up straight and pulls his phone out from his pocket.

"Hello Claudia, I have a question that may need a answer."

He paused.

"Phoebe has fever yet she doesn't feel feverous."

Pause.

"No I am not joking and yes, feverous is a word."

Pause.

"What? How is a ten year old that smart?"

Pause.

He chuckled, "yes she is indeed our daughter."

Pause.

"Alright, good day Claudia," my Dad said in a good-bye voice before hanging up.

He turns to me with his hands folded across his chest.

"Phoebe, your going to school."

I hunched my shoulders in defeat.

Can't blame me for trying.

.:.:.:.:.

I trudged through the doors of Ronald Elementary and hide behind a trash can.

'Cause I can.

And 'cause Greg is walking by.

He was 'sexy' like my mom said once before about some guy named Usher.

I held my breath as he passed by me, oblivious of my presence.

Fuck.

Mentally I slapped my wrist for thinking a bad word.

Once Greg was safely around the corner I jumper out my hiding spot and ran to class 'cause I didn't want to detention for being late.

.:.:.:.:.

"... I dunno," I mumbled when Ms. Bitch (mental wrist slap), AKA Ms. Dean called me out on me not paying attention.

She asked why I wasn't listening.

"Do I need to call your parents?" She asked and did that freaky neck roll thing.

I shook my head.

"Alright, now pay attention," she huffs and turned back towards the board.

I stared out the window and listened to ear buds I hid behind my hair.

.:.:.:.:.

I walked to Daddy's house 'cause it was his turn to watch me for the week.

And then I go back to my Mom's next week.

Like that paddle and ball game.

I put the key into the key hole and enter the probably empty house.

Then I hear a giggle.

Then a "Oh Phoebus, your such a gentleman."

Then I hear my Dad's voice, but I don't understand what he's saying.

Then I walk out 'cause I didn't want to see the 'lady-friend'.

I go to the hospital instead.

.:.:.:.:.:.

"Why, look who paid a visit," Grandpa croaked and smile his eye-wrinkling smile.

I giggle 'cause it was the normal thing to do.

"Hey grandpa," I mumbled and sit at the edge of the bed.

The chairs felt uncomfortable.

"What can I do for you Ms. Benson?"

His humoring me.

I shrug and fiddle with a loose strand of my jeans.

"What's wrong?" He frowns. "Are those good for nothin' kids still messin' with ya? Why I oughta-"

"No, I'm just tired," I interrupted him. I knew he couldn't 'oughta' nothing if he had to stay in the hospital.

"Well, what are you doing here? Shouldn't ya be at home?"

I shrug.

"Whose turn is it?" He asks real quiet.

I meet his eyes.

He understands and buzz the nurse in.

I slept in the uncomfortable chair with dozens of lumpy hospital pillows and thin as paper sheets, in a paper gown.

I fell sleep smiling.

.:.:.:.:.:.

Dad yelled at me when I got home the next morning, Lady-Friend must have left early.

"You can't just leave when you want to Phoebe."

So he didn't yell, but he said it in that quiet voice that made my spin shiver.

"I'm sorry," I mumble for the nth time.

"Don't do it again."

"Okay."

"Now go to your room."

I slept in the guest room 'cause he didn't want lady-friend to know about me.

We played pretend and said that I was his niece he babysat.

.:.:.:.:.:.

Dad dropped me off at my Mom's house on Saturday. He kissed me on my forehead and released me to my mother for another week.

When I walked in my mom was sitting on the couch, crying.

Grandpa went to Heaven and joined my dog, Rupert.

****

A/N: I know this is a random chapter, but I couldn't help myself, I wanted a test my skills of depressing shit(: Hope you enjoyed it!