9. Remember

Remus didn't really bother hiding after running for a bit. He just kicked in the door to a warehouse and sat on a crate in the moonlight. He could read everyone's thoughts. He wished he could feel the emotions that came with them, like Virgil, but he couldn't.

Roman has been recalling a memory of a fight they had had once. Something dumb. Remus had gutted an old stuffed dragon Roman had. The worst part of the fight was when Roman had yelled "I wish you were never born!" Of course to an eight year old that's not very serious to say to your brother when he's bothering you. But the fact Roman had come up with that memory was serious to Remus.

Remus could pull up countless good memories. Playing dragons and princes, climbing trees, Roman telling bedtime stories. Did Roman remember any of it?

Virgil rushed in behind him with everyone closely following.

Virgil had been picturing him and Janus leaving. Remus wasn't sure but he thought it was happy to Virgil.

Remus would sometimes tell Virgil the stories Roman had told him. Did he remember? Or did he only remember the bad things?

"Do you remember the others?" Remus asked instead.

"Remus, please come here," Janus said.

"Do you, Purple?" Remus looked over his shoulder. "Remember we would call each other by our favorite colors?"

"Remus, you need to go with Janus." Virgil gritted his teeth.

"Do you remember Orange?"

"Stop it, Remus," fury flashed across Virgil's face. "Stop it."

"What's the matter? Why don't you want to remember-"

"Because I've spent years trying to forget them," Virgil swiped his cheek. "Trying to forget their screams. Trying to forget their pain."

"But what about their smiles?"

"It-it hurts to much," Virgil choked. "Pink..."

"Smiled before they died. I know. We both know they were trying to make us feel better."

"Remus, you need to leave."

"Why? So you can forget the rest of us? Move on? Enjoy your new life knowing that you are among the few lucky that walk out of an asylum and are able to make a new life for themself?" Remus stood and faced Virgil.

"I can't help... you being nuts," Virgil's voice shook. "Just please, go."

"Okay. But you have to say their names first. All of them."

"I can't."

"Because you won't or you don't remember them?"

"I can't," Virgil insisted.

"Say them!" Remus pushed a memory over to them all.

Virgil sat on the grimy floor of a lab, helplessly crying. He cradled a boy in his arms.

"What's his name, Purple?" Remus demanded as they all snapped out of the memory.

"Remus, if you won't come I'll have to get you by force," purple mist poured out of Virgil and became a restless puddle around his feet.

Remus's eyes flashed and he summoned green mist of his own. It became sharp shards that whistled through the air towards Virgil. Virgil blocked it.

Patton jumped when Logan wrapped an arm around his chest and pulled him and Roman towards the door.

Remus caught the movement and slammed the door with his mist, bending the metal of the frame so that it couldn't be opened.

Virgil sliced the mist with his own.

"Virgil, Remus, please," Janus stepped forward. "You need to stop before-"

Both green and purple mist shot out and threw him in the air and against the wall. He slid down and crumpled to the ground.

Virgil and Remus threw mist towards each other and it locked. Using all their might they pushed against each other.

Everyone could feel and see the terrible things they threw at each other as Patton broke away from Logan's protective grip and ran to Janus. Blood dripped down his chin and his right arm was bent at an odd angle. His clothes were ripped and you could see his scorched skin and the scales that covered most of the left side of his body. Logan and Roman skirted the edge of the room to them.

"He's breathing," Logan assured Patton.

Virgil's feet began to slip. He sprouted spider legs from his back and planted them in the ground, lifting him off his feet.

In return, octopus tentacles sprouted out of Remus's back and around his waist. They pushed him off the ground and towards Virgil.

The sound of swirling mist and the buzz of memories and emotions made the room loud.

Patton jumped a little when Janus suddenly sat up.

"I have... t-t... stop them," Janus choked and spat out blood. His breath was labored and his hat had been knocked off.

"You can't," Roman raised his voice over the noise. "They'll just attack you again. Probably kill you too."

"Have to try." Two extra sets of arms grew from Janus's torso and shoulders. He stood and stumbled a little on a twisted ankle.

"Remus, Virgil!" He yelled. "You're going to kill someone!"

Virgil's voice filled their minds as if he were standing right next to each of them. "Like you care about not murdering people."

"I know, Virgil. I've made mistakes. We all have."

"But especially you. You've been lying to me." Remus's voice.

"I had to. I couldn't risk you running off and trying to find Roman like you did."

Anger surged through the room and suddenly everything snapped.

Logan's hands flew to his face and he screamed as memories and emotions mixed and tore through everyone's minds.

A/n: Ayo! Hope you're enjoying moi book. This chapter had to be cut short because I wanted to give the next part it's own chapters. And just so ya know, the next part is pretty much each Sides' flashbacks and everyone is seeing them at once. So yeah. What do you think so far?