2. Python and Wolf

At precisely one o'clock Logan put the sign in the window that said Out for lunch and sat down to wait for Patton and Mr Delphi.

He didn't have to wait for long. Patton soon came bounding in and told him a joke he had heard. Mr Delphi was about ten minutes late though.

The figure who filled the doorway wore a crisp black suit and a large cloak with a yellow necktie and yellow gloves. He also wore a bowler hat that was pulled low on his face and carried a cane with a large crook. It took a second to realize that the man was rather short, maybe 5'2, because of how commanding his presence was.

"Mr Python Delphi?" Patton stood and offered his hand.

Mr Delphi shook it. "Yes. Thank you for meeting with me."

He shook Logan's hand. Logan noticed one side of Python's face was uncomfortably smooth and one eye didn't quite seem to focus. Logan realized his face might have been reconstructed after a bad burn or some other injury and tried not to stare.

"Of course. Please have a seat."

Mr Delphi sat in front of the desk while Patton and Logan sat on the other side.

"India?" Python suddenly asked.

Logan looked over his glasses. "Was it the accent?"

Python shrugged. "Your accent is fairly British which tells me you've lived most of your life in England but the way you pronounce certain words tells me that either both or just your mother immigrated from India. The sun can't darken your skin like that so I'm guessing both."

Logan searched for any hint of mockery as often he was the butt end of a racist joke. There didn't seem to be any and he had gotten used to it so he dismissed the comment.

"Python is a remarkable name," Patton commented.

"Yes, you might say it's a pun of sorts." Python's voice was noticeably less raspy. Instead, it was more smooth and... convincing?

Patton's eyes sparkled. "I love puns."

"Oh," the man smiled. "The story isn't all laughs. But I'll oblige. I had parents who were missionaries is South America. They were young and my mother was only seven months pregnant when they accidentally walked through a snake nest. My father was killed and my mother was so traumatized she gave birth to me early and died. The people at the orphanage thought it would be funny if I got the name Python so that they could say that both my parents were killed by Pythons."

He showed no emotion while telling the story, just had the corners of his mouth turned up.

Patton's face had gone blank. Logan knew Patton wasn't sure wether he should laugh politely or apologize for his loss. Logan saved him by asking:

"So, would you like to tell us what you require our help on?"

"Ah, yes." Python leaned forward. "I have a friend who is in trouble. We came to London two days ago. We didn't mean to stay long but he accidentally stumbled into a snake pit of his own. They had him arrested and because of his, er, interesting humor he is now in the asylum."

"And that's where I come in?" Patton asked.

The man nodded. "I heard that you had somewhat of a similar case a year or two ago."

"That's private," Logan cut in. "How do you know about that?"

Python inclined his chin. "Forgive me for prying but I had friends who told me rumors. Don't worry, I know nothing of the person you got out."

Patton shrugged. "I guess as long as that's confidential we can move forward."

"So, let me get this straight," Logan thrummed his fingers on his desk. "You want us to prove your friend is mentally stable enough to leave asylum?"