↠ P r o l o g u e ↞

It Was Greenleaf.

This one of the hottest days of this season. Greenleaf was one of the best ones among them four. Prey was rich and the sun brought warmth into the dens, making the elders happy and less grumpy. But besides the quality source of food, water and shelter that is very good, this season is one of the safest time for queens to have kits.

At one part of a land, filled with trees, bracken, brambles and burrows lies the forest territory of ThunderClan. Everyone should have been going about their daily errands, but today was an exception.

Loud pained yowls filled the air.

"Where in StarClan's name is that apprentice?" The medicine cat growled as her white fur ruffled stressfully at every move as her irises sharpen and her tail flick to and fro. The queen moaned in pain as another wave spasmed through her.

"Got it," a voice of a tom mewed from the entrance of the nursery. He was a gray tom with darker gray speckles, he had pale blue eyes which gleamed in the dark shadow that wasn't hit by the rays of the sun which had started to sink from the sky a while ago.

"Goosefeather, give it to her quickly! I swear you're as slow as a plump elder.." Goosefeather told the queen to bite down hard on the stick that he brought, if she felt in pain. Cloudberry urged her to push, the queen's body trembling as something little came out.

Goosefeather was not still used to helping queens during their kitting because she prohibited him to do it but today she needed his help and he actually didn't have much experience which caused him to stare at the wet bundle in a daze. Cloudberry had to do it herself.

Why do I have an imbecile as an apprentice? He could imagine is what his mentor thought.

Cloudberry lapped as fast and as gentle as she could at the sack that covered her patient till it eventually ripped. A loud gasping sound can be heard as the kit had taken its first breath, it inhaled deeply desperately because the sack hadn't been taken off immediately.

"A healthy tom." The sandy-brown kit's paws were churning, the most adorable mew escaped from his lips. His mother grasped him by the scruff and carried him to her. The kit immediately started suckling for milk, his paws kneading her belly.

The queen had flashed a quick smile till she groaned once more and her eyes widened in pain "Another one's coming."

This time, it seemed a bit easier to do the procedure. A light gray kit mewled and was taken by the scruff to the mother's belly, a tortoiseshell she-kit followed. By the entrance, a gray tabby with green eyes entered, he looked exactly like the second kit.

"First two are toms and the last is a she-cat, congratulations Windflight." Cloudberry purred and gestured him to come over, but he just sat by the entrance.

"How do you feel Rainfur? Do you need anything?" he meowed from afar.

The she-cat wanted him to take a closer look at his kits, but it seems that was not a choice "I'm pretty thirsty, can you get soaked moss?"

"Grab water by the stream outside camp, it's more fresh there." The tom nodded before swiftly leaving the area, eager to get out. Once he left Rainfur's attention was back to her little kits.

"They're beautiful," the queen looked at her kits with teary eyes. A groan came from Goosefeather as he licked the kits' pelt to keep them warm, seeing that Rainfur didn't do anything afterwards and thought crying was what she's supposed to do.

But once his tongue reached towards one of the kits' head, a fiery blazing feeling seared throughout his body as visions of the kit's future flashed in his mind like a flashback but in vice versa.