Chapter 13

One day later...

"We may be approaching the end of the 24th Hunger Games!" the announcer cheered.

"Call Paris," I ordered my personal screen. The party at Gamecenter was getting growing, everyone growing anxious.

Maia didn't know it, of course, but she was approaching the base camp of Keld and Slatia, the two remaining tributes. Keld and Slatia were out, however, searching for fresh water.

Paris answer the call and appeared in his bedroom, a girl hidden beneath his sheets.

"The Games are almost over," I said.

"I should hope so considering you woke me up," he said.

"Get over here please," I said. I hung up on him and set my screen to a map of the arena and footage of Maia. She was still carrying all of her gear up the steep terrain.

She was so close to winning, only fifty yards from the cave of Keld and Slatia who had developed a romantic relationship. That had gotten the audience's attention.

"Come on," I whispered.

A few minutes later, Paris was sitting beside me and Maia had stumbled upon the cave.

She crept inside, a flashlight lighting her way.

She saw the campfire and what few materials they had.

There was an eerie smile on her face, made creepier by the glow of the flashlight.

She shined the light around the cave probably looking for a place to hide and ambush them.

But then she had an even better idea. She unshouldered her backpack and began digging around. Then she pulled the capsule the salami had come in and placed her own flashlight inside. She walked outside the cave and set the capsule on the ground.

Then she walked back inside.

The footage of her turned to night-vision. She had her bow at the ready, quiver on her back, and throwing knives at her belt.

"Your sister is genius," Paris said. A waiter passed by. Paris caught him by his arm. "A bottle of champagne please and two glasses."

Everyone was on edge as the footage changed to Keld and Slatia who were making their way back from a nearby spring, hand in hand.

"They are so adorable," Paris noted.

"Sure," I said. They were so close to the cave. Could they walk any faster?

A few minutes later, they were just outside the cave. The girl, Slatia, saw the capsule first.

"We've got a parachute!" she cheered.

The footage cut to Maia who was grinning beyond measure.

The boy wrapped his arms around Slatia from behind, watching over her shoulder, as she opened the capsule.

"A flashlight," she said, perplexed.

"But we've got one of those," he said.

She looked back inside the capsule.

"No note," she noted. She handed him the flashlight and clicked it on. The light shined into the cave, illuminating Maia.

The first arrow sunk into the Keld's eye, killing him instantly. Slatia began screaming and running but Maia was faster.

My sister fired the arrow that ended the 24th Hunger Games.

Paris jumped up yelling and screaming.