Chapter 9

There was a collective gasp. Then silence.

That had never been done before.

2/3rd of the Careers were eliminated.

I glanced over at Paris. He looked pleased.

It was good for us. Eliminating the Careers was less competition.

"Take care of this," I whispered to Paris. "I'm sure we'll have sponsors down our backs. Behave. Get money. I'll be back here tomorrow morning when Gamecenter opens for everyone."

He nodded.

I slipped to the back of the room. I didn't like the stifling heat that came with everyone being so close together.

Just as I had reached the back wall, a hand pulled me back into a room. I gasped but a hand covered my mouth.

"Geez," Cori laughed. I knew it was him just from his voice. The room was dark so I couldn't see him or his face. His hand slipped away from my mouth and to my cheek, stroking it lovingly. "On edge much?"

"Only 11 tributes remain," I said. "That's quite impressive for the first hour."

"Thanks to your sister. I must admit that was quite brutal," he said.

"Funny. You called me brutal the first time we met," I said. I felt for the front of his suit. It was a smooth and silky fabric.

"I remember," he said. "But I want you to tell me the story anyways tonight."

"Tonight?"

"I'm sure Paris can handle it," he said.

"I suppose," I sighed. I hadn't been able to sneak out of the Tribute Center since that first night.

"What about the other issue?" he asked.

"I assume you mean Pax?" I asked.

"I do."

"I haven't seen him around," I said.

"He'll be around today. Find him. Sort it out," Cori said. "I don't want this going on any longer."

"Me either," I said. I straightened his tie, even though I couldn't see it.

He was silent.

"You do know you're so much better than him, right?" I asked.

"Of course I do," he said.

"Good," I whispered. I put a hand on his cheek. I could feel the stubble on his skin. My thumb found the corner of his lips. I ran my thumb along his lower lip. He inhaled sharply.

"Shh," I whispered. I replaced my thumb with my lips.

We walked backwards, my fingers fumbling at the buttons of his suit, until I had him pressed against the wall. His hands were in my curled hair.

I kissed him eagerly.

I wanted to forget everything.

There was a knock at the door.

"One moment, please," I called. I resumed kissing him.

"Ah— Cassie," Cori protested. I stopped. His hands took mine. I could almost feel his eyes looking down on me. "I have to go, dearest."

I kissed his cheek before finding the door handle in the dark.

I opened the door and slipped back into the party.

I had to find Pax and get this all resolved.

I wander the crowds for a good hour before I found him with three other candidates.