Chapter 6

The first escort to arrive in the Sun Room after me was Paris who seemed half-asleep.

A servant came around asking for our drink orders.

"Something strong," Paris said.

"He means a glass of orange juice," I said politely. "And water for me."

When she disappeared, I snapped at him.

"Could you please behave?" I asked.

"Could you possibly enjoy yourself, Cassia?" he asked. His blonde hair was looking particularly brown.

"Shut up and listen to me, Paris," I said. "You're in charge of entertaining 2 and 4. I'm going to talk to 11 and 9. They're looking like the only other competitors."

"2 and 4," Paris repeated. "I've totally got it."

"Try not to piss them off."

An automated voice announced the arrival of District 6.

They entered, sticking to their own corner of the room.

Eventually District 2 entered. Their tributes were Maia and Vine's real competition. They were big, tough, and brutal.

I left Paris with them as District 11 entered.

I sauntered over to them.

"Hello," I said, shaking the man's hand. "Cassia."

"Ah, good afternoon Miss Cassia. I'm Tiller and this is Lillith," he said. I shook the woman's hand. Judging by her name and leopard print, she was a Capitol escort, not an actual victor.

"I'll be blunt," I said. "I've seen your tributes."

"Does District 1 think we have a chance?" Tiller asked, a mocking tone in his voice.

"I would say you have a chance. But not without the Careers," I said.

"You're offering us an alliance?" Lillith asked. She sounded pleased. Her face seemed fixed in a smile, and perhaps it was.

"Absolutely," I said. "You and District 9."

Tiller looked suspicious.

"Tiller, you understand," I said. "After the Cornucopia, it's all about alliances."

"I didn't have alliances," he said.

"You were an exception," I said. "Your Games were the year of my first Reaping. That first Game all you think about is how that could have been you. You were a rare exception, defying the odds. I can't imagine doing what you did. The only reason I'm standing here today is because of my alliances."

"We'll have to think about it," Tiller said. I had gotten to him.

"Think about it?" Lillith giggled. "I doubt we'll be thinking long, Cassia."

"Well, that's great," I said.

"I've seen your movies," Lillith said. I felt my smile falter slightly. "You are such an amazing actress. That one about District 12—"

"Oh such an emotional role," I said. I played a girl from District 12 who had to betray her father who was a traitor because "the good of Panem must always come first."

Lillith and I continued talking up until a bell rang, announcing the arrival of the President.

A set of doors opened and Cori entered.

We all bowed respectfully, then proceeded to take our seats.

One of the perks of getting to these events early was that you could rearrange the place cards to benefit you. I had District 9 seated across from Paris and I. I sat to the right of Cori. Next to Paris was District 11.