Chapter 10

Modern table and chairs had been set up throughout Gamecenter.

Sponsors, escorts, and mentors were seated around them and talking, discussing business. Screens were built into the table top so one could search statistics and watch the Games. You could select a specific camera or watch the footage that was being projected throughout Panem. I kept my screen focused on a wide view of the Cornucopia.

It was still early in the morning so Maia and Vine were asleep, cuddled up together in the structure.

District 9 was on night-watch. They were talking quietly. I zoomed in on them and turned on the mic.

"Why did they save us?" the girl asked.

"I don't know," he said. "But I think we should go. Or they'll kill us."

"We should take some stuff and go now," she said.

I shook my head.

I had to alert Maia and Vine somehow.

So far, we had collected enough money to send something into the arena. That would have to do.

I pulled up the request form on the screen. Usually once a form was sent in an item would enter the arena within minutes.

Intended Tribute: Maia Luxeri

District: 1

Gender: Female

Item: Lamb Salami

Message (limit 75 characters): Good so far. Eliminate 9. Find new allies if you must. Protect Cornucopia. Kisses, Cassia

I sent in the form and kept my eyes on my personal screen.

The tributes from 9 had stood up and begun wandering the Cornucopia, probably looking for something to carry some things in.

There was a tinkling noise and the main screen went to the Cornucopia.

I could only beg that they didn't show a shot of the note. Then there would a be a mutiny in here.

Maia sat up, walking over to where a silver parachute had landed. A cylindrical case was attached to it. "1" was painted on the cylinder.

"I believe that's for me," Maia said. She pressed a button on the case and it opened. I could tell that her eyes were scanning the note. She smiled.

"Salami," Maia laughed. Vine had woken up. She tossed the stick of meat to him and dropped the case back down to the ground. "Lamb salami so it's probably for you, love."

There was an "aww" throughout the room.

My sister was very good at this.

She wandered casually over to a weapons rack, fingers brushing across an assortment of knives.

She picked one up spinning it.

"Anything happen last night?" she asked.

"Not really," the girl from 9 said. But her voice sounded nervous. "The boy from 8 is dead."

"Oh?" Cassie asked. "That's good. I was thinking we go find the loser from 12."

"That's a good idea," the boy said.

She was playing with her food before she ate it.

The knife was still in her hand as she wandered back to the pile of sleeping bags where Vine was still sitting. She sat beside him and put her chin on his shoulder, whispering into his ear.