Chapter 5

"Do not forget about survival skills," I said as I adjusted Maia's collar. Appearances were everything now. You never knew who was watching. "We know you have the fitness but dying because of the elements is the only other thing that will kill you, okay?"

"Survival is boring," Vine whined.

Paris was nowhere in sight.

"I don't care about what's boring," I said. "I care about getting one of you back in District 1."

"It'll be me," Maia boasted.

"Don't be cocky either. Form alliances. Get to know the other Careers and don't pick any fights," I said.

Officially, training didn't start until 10 but District 1 was always the first to arrive at 9:30.

I pressed the button for the basement.

"What are you going to do, Cassie?" Maia asked as we entered the glass elevator.

"I'm going to speak with your stylists," I said.

"Ooh," Maia sighed. She had been fascinated with the stylists since she had arrived. Our styling team was quirky, to say the least.

"Please focus, Maia," I said.

The doors to the training room opened. Cold air and the smell of sterilizer filled the elevator.

My heart began racing, purely out of fear.

"This is where I leave you," I said. "Don't get killed."

The elevator doors slid shut and I wrapped my coat tightly around me.

I pressed the button for floor one.

I wasn't going to see the stylists.

The President always hosted the mentors and escorts at the mansion for lunch for the three days that training lasted.

In the Capitol's defense, it was very well organized and planned. Things ran efficiently and smoothly; you rarely ever waited on anything.

A hover car was waiting out front. The driver knew exactly where I had to go.

We zipped along the city streets. I watched the high-rises fly past, blurs of neon lights and grey.

The President's mansion was a two story, marble building with lots of columns and pillars. It was a beautiful house and one day it would be mine.

The driver opened the door for me and I stepped out onto the gravel driveway, my heels rocking slightly on the uneven ground.

I climbed the steps to the front doors which opened for me.

When I first began as a regular in the Capitol, I always said thank you to the servants and Avoxes. But now, almost two years later, I had stopped doing that.

I walked the familiar route to the President's office. I knew he probably wasn't doing much since it was so early in the morning.

I pushed open the door. Cori was sitting at his desk, hidden behind a hologram screen, drinking something.

"Good morning," I said, announcing my presence. The screen flickered down. A gentle smile stretched across his face.

"Good morning. You were gone early."

"Well I've got two teenagers to take care of so yes, I did have some place to be," I said, collapsing in the chair in front of his desk.

"How is your sister?" Cori asked. He stood, wandering over to a tea cart.