Power of Demons

John stared at the messenger in horror, attempting to process what he had just been told. “So, what you’re telling me is that Sherlock wanted to follow us here and so in a futile effort to keep him safe, you sent him back through the tunnel to Ebola infested London?”

The man was clearly terrified as he stared into John angry face, his eye dark eyes, glittering with rage, “I…I…” The messenger stuttered.

As John advanced on the trembling messenger, the Shaman came and stood between them, “John, you have greater problems than Sherlock. You must focus on the task at hand, for if you destroy the three remaining horsemen, the fourth will fall.”

John sighed, fighting the urge to strangle the stupid messenger, “Fine, the scout reported that the horsemen and their armies are just up ahead, come, let’s proceed.”

When they finally reached the top of the mountain, John’s neck and jaw ached from clenching his teeth. As John looked down at the valley below them he fully expected to see hordes of  demons poised and ready to kill, however all there was in the valley were three horsemen. John glared over at the Shaman in annoyance, “There are just three horsemen there, so this should be easy right?”

The Shaman’s blue eyes glittered as he met John’s gaze, “John, look again and this time use your powers of observation.”

John felt a lump rise in his throat at the Shaman’s words, “Powers of Observation”, for all they did was remind him of Sherlock; however he took a deep breath and looked at the three horsemen again and then he frowned, “What is that blurry section under each horseman? It looks like the shimmering pictures of mirages that people have been noted to see on a hot day in the desert.”

The Shaman nodded, “Very good, John. Each shimmering mirage, as you put it, is full of hundreds of demons, the horsemen are in a state of meditation, when they fully regenerate, they and their demons will have the power to travel to your world. The horse of pestilence has already gained his full power and at this moment is ravaging your home. John, we must kill the other three horsemen before they regenerate or all will be lost. However, if we awaken them in the attempt they will immediately come out of their trance and attack.”

John frowned as he spoke to the Shaman, “So, if they aren’t fully generated wouldn’t they be less powerful?”

The Shaman looked back at John and spoke softly, “One horseman and his demons have already regenerated, so the remaining three will follow very soon. If you were to awaken the horsemen at this time, they would still have hundreds of demons at their command, John this will not be easy.”

For the first time in his half-human state John felt tired, “I don’t have time for this mumbo jumbo, I’ve got to rescue Sherlock,” John thought as he pulled a bow from his back, strung an arrow and after a few moments of concentrating, he let the arrow fly. Zing the arrow sliced through the air hitting its target and as one of the horsemen fell to the ground, a moaning noise followed and then all was silent. “Well, that was pretty easy,” John cockily said aloud to the Shaman.

He was about to string up another arrow when a deafening sound filled the air as a bubble formed around one of the horsemen, it grew larger and larger and then exploded into a mass of misshapen horrific creatures that crawled up the mountain towards them in scuttling, crab-like movements.