Chapter 3

Sherlock sat in his chair taking deep breaths; he had to be calm when John and Clare came home. The front door opened and Sherlock could hear them coming up the stairs. John came around the corner first. Sherlock waited the few seconds it would have taken him to notice John’s blood spattered appearance and then he pushed himself out of the chair.

“John, what happened? Are you alright?” Sherlock checked John for injuries, hoping that John found his response appropriate.

John waved Sherlock away. “I’m fine. Clare and I ran into a little trouble with a Chinese gang. We didn’t even catch sight of the Golem.” John sighed. “Well, maybe next time. Clare go ahead and hit the shower first.”

Clare looked from Sherlock to John and without a word she left. After Clare was gone Sherlock walked over to where John stood. “John, what’s going on?” Sherlock hoped that John would tell him everything so that together they could find out what was happening to John.

“Everything’s fine, Sherlock, you worry too much. Clare told me her secret on the way to China town. She also informed me that you already knew about her being only partially human, which would have been nice to know before I saw her change into her other form. It was frightening, yet magnificent. Clare has agreed to let me take some blood samples from her, so that I can study the Claymore.”

Sherlock spoke softly, his words coming out as a melodic whisper. “John, does she have any idea why you are taking on Claymore characteristics?”

John shrugged. “Who knows, I don’t feel any different, so what does it matter? Once we find the Golem, Clare can go back home and nothing will have changed. Sherlock, why all the questions? What’s bothering you?”

If John hadn’t been covered in blood, Sherlock would have reached out and held him close. John frowned slightly.

“Sherlock, talk to me, what’s wrong?” John asked. His voice had an edge to it that Sherlock knew well. Now was not the time to talk to John about this. They made small talk until Clare gave John the all clear sign that the shower was free.

John let the warm water run over him, the dried blood washed away in brownish rivulets down the shower drain. Once he was clean he grabbed his robe and almost ran to jump in bed with Sherlock.

John was still damp as he threw off his robe and snuggled his naked body closer to Sherlock’s.

“Sherlock, I know you’re not asleep.” John whispered. There was no reply from Sherlock. “No matter,” John thought. “I know how to get him to respond.” John searched Sherlock’s body until he found one of Sherlock’s maroon colored erogenous zones. John eased closer to Sherlock and began to gently rub towards the end of his spine. Sherlock’s body tensed. John smiled,” Of course Sherlock was awake,” he thought as he wrapped his legs around Sherlock’s body. “Sherlock, where are you? Time to come out and play Doctor and Detective,” John crooned in a sing song voice, as he gently laid his hand on Sherlock’s pelvis. Sherlock’s body quivered in response to John’s touch. As John’s movements became more insistent, Sherlock gasped, he could stand it no longer. “Who the hell cares what John is becoming?” Sherlock thought as John moved his body closer, so that they could fit together as one. Making love with John was always pleasurable; however, something was different this time. It was as if John were able to monitor Sherlock’s vital signs, so that he could elicit the maximum physical response from Sherlock.

“John, what are you waiting for? I’m really starting to feel uncomfortable.” Sherlock gasped, as he forced himself up against the head board of the bed.

John laughed. “Sherlock, trust me I’m a Doctor. Although it does get me off when you beg.”

Sherlock felt as if he were going to hyperventilate. “John, for God’s sake I’m begging. I’m going to explode.”

“Sherlock, just hang on, I assure you it will be worth the wait.” John commanded in his military voice.

When John finally helped him release, Sherlock felt as if he was going to faint. John was barely out of breath as he straddled Sherlock’s sweat drenched body. “Sherlock, I love you. Does your Doctor know best?”

Sherlock was unable to talk for a few moments. “Yes, Doctor. John, you hold my heart, take care of it John Hamish Watson.” Sherlock panted.

John grabbed his arms so tightly that Sherlock yelped. “Sherlock, I would die for you a million times over. I would disembowel myself with my sword, I would poke my eye out, I would …” John’s voice trailed off as he tickled Sherlock. “Come on world’s greatest detective, stop the dramatics.”

Sherlock resisted for a moment, then laughed and snuggled closer to John. “John, I don’t want this to be one sided, however, I’m not sure if…”

John interrupted Sherlock. “Rest, Doctor’s orders and I will lay here thinking of a way for you to pay me back.”

Sherlock felt his whole body go limp. John was fine, everything was fine, after all the alley where he had seen John and Clare battling the gang, was dark. Sherlock lulled himself to sleep with the thought that he must have been mistaken about John. John was still his sweet loving Doctor, nothing was wrong with him.

Sherlock was awakened by a shriek and the sound of shattering glass. John was already out of bed in his robe, with sword in hand.

“John, wait for me.” Sherlock yelled to no avail, John was already downstairs. When John got downstairs, the front door was kicked in and Mrs. Hudson lay cowering in a corner. The Golem towered over her, and then turned around as John entered the foyer.

“I heard you were looking for me.” The Golem hissed.

John stood in battle stance, not even feeling the wood shards from the door as they cut into his bare feet. The Golem laughed and pulled a giant mace out of a bag that was slung over his shoulder.

“Come on small warrior. Give way to the awakening that courses through your body. I will let you enjoy the pleasure for a moment before I kill you.” The Golem roared and swung the mace at John’s head.

John parried with his sword, miraculously he kept his balance, as he sliced at the Golem’s knees. Sherlock stood transfixed. There was no way John should be fast enough to block that attack, yet somehow he did. Sherlock stumbled against the wall, as Clare shoved past him to assist John. Her monstrous transformation took place as she battled the Golem. The Golem slashed into her abdomen with the metal prongs on the end of the mace. Even though the wound bleed profusely, Clare kept fighting as if she didn’t notice. John crept up behind the Golem. The Golem realizing he was outnumbered slammed his elbow into John and ran through the shattered entranceway. John fell to the ground like a rag doll. Sherlock had his arms around Mrs. Hudson to protect her. For moment no one moved. A dog barked and howled in the distance. Clare was the first one to get up; she walked over and took John’s pulse.

“He has just been knocked unconscious, he will be fine,” Clare stated in a flat tone as if she were reading a shipping forecast.

John stirred and opened his eyes. Sherlock was by his side in an instant. “John, John, speak to me.” Sherlock commanded.

“I’m fine,” John said as he winced at the pain he was beginning to feel from his injuries.

Mrs. Hudson came and stood by Sherlock’s side. “Sherlock, what is going on?”

Sherlock felt his hands start to shake. “I don’t know.” His normally placid, bored, expression was twisted in fear.

Clare stood beside John. “John, do you remember the conversation we had in the cab?” John nodded, not making eye contact. Clare’s eyes mirrored grief.  “John, you need to decide who you are going to give your black card to.” Without hesitation John reached into the pocket of his robe and handed the black card to Sherlock. Sherlock took the card; it was still warm from the heat of John’s body.  His Doctor, friend, lover, his heart, had handed him a black card. If John realized his potential and awakened as a killer similar to a Yoma, Sherlock was obligated to kill him.