Chapter 10

John, Sherlock, Jake, Clare and Rathery glanced uneasily at the brick tunnel that stood before them. Each of them shifted nervously at the prospect of the unknown. The all stood looking on in silence, and then John was the first to step forward. “Well, no guts no glory,” he said as he ran into the dark passageway.

“Wait, John, stop,” Sherlock shouted to no avail for John was already gone. The rest of the party quietly made their way through the tunnel without a word to one another. Water dripped from the rounded ceiling, making creepy drip, drip, drip, sounds as it did so. “Where is John?” Sherlock thought. “How could he have disappeared so quickly?” As if in answer to his question a gust of wind blew down the tunnel towards them. As it picked up speed, Sherlock wondered whether they should turn back and find cover. Then Sherlock felt a pressure against his chest as he was thrown into zero gravity. Just as he thought he would be crushed the wind ceased to blow and Sherlock found himself lying on a grassy mountain top. The noise from the wind temporarily affected his hearing and Sherlock felt like he was under water.

“Sherlock, are you alright?” John asked frantically.

Sherlock could barely make out John’s words and it reminded him of the effect a bomb had on his hearing when part of their Baker Street flat had blown up. Sherlock put his hands over his ears as a sharp pain reverberated through his head and then boom his hearing was back.

“Sherlock?” John asked again as he gently encircled his hands around Sherlock’s wrists.

Sherlock looked around at the rest of their party; they were all shaking their heads in disorientation. Clare was the only one not affected for she was already on her feet without a hair out of place. As if following his train of thought, John fingered his chin in puzzlement.

“I don’t understand why all of you except Clare had such a bad reaction to the portal. I came through it pretty easily.” John thought for a moment and then shrugged. “Oh, well, it’s just one of those mysteries I suppose.”

Sherlock felt a feeling of dread when he looked at John, for it seemed that John had gained a whole new level of energy in Clare’s world. “Was Clare correct? Was John turning into some sort of monster, and if so what was the cure?” Sherlock thought as he struggled with the facts of their situation. Nothing was as it seemed anymore and Sherlock’s powers of deductive reasoning seemed to be failing.

Sherlock looked over at John as his head moved closer to Rathery’s for they both appeared to be communicating. “Well, Rathery told me that her mate headed off towards the higher mountain tops.  Clare and I will take the lead since we can smell his scent the strongest.” John said as he motioned for everyone to follow him and Clare.

Sherlock and Jake trailed behind the rest of the party and Sherlock for the first time ever appeared to be at a disadvantage in this world. “What am I without my intellect and observation powers?” Sherlock thought dismally as he walked beside Jake.

John looked around his surroundings with wonder. “By God, this is a beautiful place.” John thought to himself. For the first time in years John felt young and free, he gave no thought to Afghanistan, no thought to unsolved murders, to failed relationships or loss of any kind. Under further introspection John wondered if he had died and gone to heaven. “This sense of freedom must be what heaven is like, “John mused. 

Sherlock looked around him misery. What a dismal place this was. The mountains were rounded and covered with fog like some ancient Japanese painting. The terrain was rocky, but not rough as the stones were as smooth as marble. The air was moist and filled with some kind of peaty smell. Sherlock sneezed. “This place is bloody awful; I hope we find that dragon soon.” Sherlock growled softly.  For some reason he felt that he was in a cathedral and that his voice should be muted.

John looked back at Sherlock’s scowling face and cheerfully bounded over to him. “Sherlock, this place is great, isn’t it? Are your allergies acting up again?” John asked in concern as Sherlock sneezed again.

Sherlock glared at John and was about to come back with a sarcastic remark but the look of joy on John’s face stopped him. “Since when have I thought of someone else’s needs before my own,” Sherlock thought as he smiled at John. “I’m fine John.” Sherlock replied as John’s blue eyes mirrored his own smile. Sherlock reflected how the color of John’s eyes was like the deepest blue of the ocean. As John’s gaze intensified Sherlock could feel his heart beat increase.

John lightly boxed Sherlock under the chin and whispered, “I’ve still got it, don’t I?”

Sherlock felt overwhelmed as he always did when John focused all his energy on him. “John, you’ve never lost it. How did I ever survive without you?” Sherlock said sadly.

John grinned at Sherlock with his crooked smile and replied, “I was so alone before I met you.”

Before Sherlock could answer back, Clare interrupted, “We need to pick up the pace if we are going to get to cover before nightfall.”

By the time they reached shelter, Sherlock was cold wet and exhausted.  The shelter was a Japanese style house and Sherlock groaned inwardly,” Great, just what I wanted to do is sleep on the floor. Oh well, maybe they have beds in Clare’s world.” Sherlock looked at the floor in the room he and John would share and he sighed when he saw the little futons on the ground. Jake and Clare roomed with two other guests, Jake with a male guest and Clare with a female guest and Ratherty stayed outside in a nearby cave.

Though Sherlock wasn’t looking forward to the futon mattress the steam bath was heavenly. It was located outside and was heated by natural spring. Sherlock leaned back and relaxed as the steam rose from his body. A few moments later John slipped in with him.

“John, where are your clothes? Did you just walk out here naked?” Sherlock asked in surprise, for John had always been the modest one.

John shrugged and slipped in beside Sherlock. “I don’t think anyone cares about that sort of thing here, Sherlock.”

Sherlock tensed as he waited for John to touch him; however John just snuggled closer to Sherlock. “I love you, Sherlock.” John said as he burrowed closer to Sherlock’s pliant body.

Sherlock swallowed for it always seemed surreal when John said those words. “I love you too, John.” Sherlock said as he kissed the top of John’s head.

Sherlock and John both leaned back enjoying the warmth of each other’s company and the water. Finally, John slithered closer and kissed Sherlock on the mouth. It was just meant as a kiss, but Sherlock felt like he was on fire as he kissed John back.  As John’s tongue made its way into his mouth, Sherlock marveled at how John could make a kiss seem like sex itself. As John tentatively explored the inside of his mouth Sherlock responded first slowly with wonder, and then hard and passionate. Sherlock leaned his head back against the side of the wooden tub as John moved his mouth over Sherlock’s neck. The stars were so bright in this world Sherlock thought as he tried to control his emotions. John had wrapped his legs around Sherlock’s waist and as always Sherlock had to fight the urge to cry as John’s hands rubbed his stomach. Sherlock gasped for air as he waited for John’s hands to reach their next destination.

“Sherlock, if you need to cry, please do you are safe with me.” John whispered as he gently massaged between Sherlock’s legs.

“John, what makes you think I am fighting the urge to cry? Are you doing that thing with the colors again?” Sherlock grunted as he changed positions so that John could reach him with ease.

John was breathing heavily and could barely speak. “Sherlock, I am not seeing colors. I have not seen them since we entered this world,” John said as he made an effort to answer Sherlock without gasping for air.

“Then how….,” Sherlock started to ask and then trailed off as John finished his sentence.

“Sherlock, you are my heart, my love, my strength, my best friend. When you hurt, I hurt, when you cry I cry,” John said as a tear slid down his cheek.

John then took a deep breath and dived underneath the water and as John’s mouth closed on an erogenous spot, Sherlock leaned his head back and let the tears fall. “John, my warrior, my love, my friend, “Sherlock thought as more tears cascaded down his face.