Chapter Five

Bacon. It was an odd first thought for the day. But that was definitely the smell of bacon wafting up her nostrils. Bell unburied her face from its nest of pillows and inhaled deeply. Smelled like... bacon and pancakes. A smile lit up her face despite the bright sunshine streaming in through her uncovered window. Leaping from her bed, her curls ruffled, Bell launched herself through her open doorway and down the stairs. Laughter could be heard coming from the kitchen and she was greeted by the sight of her family gathered around the stove top, a sizzling skillet in front of them. Bell leaned against the railing to the stairs and just stared at them. Michael and Sam were elbowing each other while bickering about who would get first dibs on the bacon. Their mother was smiling and shaking her head while flipping the pork in the pan. Such a simple scene but one that made her happy, nonetheless. Jumping from her spot at the bottom of the stairs, she was amused to see all three snap their heads in her direction. With a wide smile on her face, she rubbed her hands together and announced, "I get first dibs on bacon."

The last rays of sunshine were dimming, disappearing beyond the horizon. From the front porch of their new home, Bell watched as the pale pinks and yellows of the evening sky were enveloped by the stars. Beautiful. There was a slight chill to the air and Bell could smell salt on the air. She was waiting on Michael and Sam so that they could head to the boardwalk together. Noticing her mother was in an amazing mood that morning, Bell made sure to mention to her that she would be spending some time with new friends later that evening and if it was okay to come home a bit later. Her mother seemed a bit on edge at the question, but she nodded her approval. Be home by two she said. She could hear the boys coming down the stairs, nearing the door. Bell took one last look at her outfit. Faded and ripped jeans, cuffed at the ankle, wrapped around her legs. A tight black tank top covered her top half. She was happy to find her well loved black leather jacket tucked away in one of her bags from the move. Her curls were free and falling down her back in loose ringlets. Rings covered her fingers as she gripped her coffee cup between both hands, warming them on the porcelain.

"Ready to go?"

Looking over her shoulder, she was happy to see Michael and Sam standing in the doorway behind her. She smiled at them and nodded her head, "After you gentlemen."

Bell rode with Michael on his bike and Sam rode with their mother. Apparently, Max had called her around an hour ago and wanted her to come in for an interview. Knew the man would see reason. Laughter and screams from the boardwalk echoed in her ears. Joy was abundant in the air. It was almost like another world on the boardwalk. Nothing like Phoenix. Bell would not trade it for the world. It was home now. Salt and cotton candy wafted up her nose as she inhaled the night air as she hopped off the back of her twin's bike.

"I'm going to stop by the video store really quick, Mike. I'll see you in a few."

She did not stay behind to hear what her twin replied. She wanted to see Thorn and get a quick chat in with Max before she met up with the guys. It still seemed like a dream to her that they wanted anything to do with her. It seemed too good to be true. But Bell knew that there was something about them that drew her in, made her feel like she belonged. She craved that feeling.

Bell felt the air conditioning brush her skin as she stepped into Max's Video. Her eyes roamed the racks of movies that lined the store. She did not see her mother, nor did she hear her. Must have beat her here. A bark caught her attention and a wide smile bloomed onto her face. Thorn. She was instantly bending down to give the sweet creature all of her attention when she heard Max behind her, "He adores you."

"He is precious."

"He doesn't take to well to people."

Bell noted the stress on the word people. It would seem odd if it did not share the same feeling as the boys. There was something more going on behind the scenes of Santa Carla. She looked over her shoulder at Max, who was leaning on the counter behind him, and stated, "Well, people can be cruel. I just happen to be clinically insane.'