Knight In Shining Armor (StevexFem!Reader)

———————

"She doesn't need a hero.
She forged her sword in hellfire and fought 
her way through hell to get where she is.
She built herself up from nothing with only a dog tag and a few dollars."

"Let me guess. You can't compete with that?"

"I really can't, Buck. She's special."

———————

"Y/n L/n.

The most beautiful woman Steve had ever laid eyes on.

And also the most threatening, coincidentally.

He was absolutely terrified of her up until they had started training together a few years ago, about a month after she moved; she was a SHIELD agent who had been instructed to live at the compound for extra security. She liked to use the training room, usually at the times Steve was used to using it.

They had actually become pretty good friends and workout buddies, and he got to learn more about the alleged "Mystery Agent" through it.

She wasn't a stone-cold bad bitch.

Well, she was, but there was more to it.

She was a very hurt and very scared lady who built herself up from nothing with three dollars and some dogtags from her great-grandfather.

Steve respected her the moment his eyes crossed the dogtags for the first time. She wore them all the time; under her shirts or dresses most often, but the first time he had seen them was at breakfast one morning when it was just the two of them.

He had known her great-grandfather; Robinson L/n. He was a good man and good fighter. Very passionate about his country, and Steve was glad he found someone to love.

He asked about her great-grandmother, and was relieved to find out that it was the nurse, Rachel Darling, her great-grandfather had fallen for all those years ago.

"Robinson was a good man," he had said after he waved good morning, pointing to her dogtags.

"You knew him?" Y/n asked, looking up from her cup of coffee in shock. "Ah, sorry, I keep forgetting how old you actually are. I only met him a few times that I remember. I'm glad that he was respectable."

"Can I ask who he ended up marrying, or would that be weird?"

Y/n laughed. "Not weird at all. You knew him, so you have a right to know. He married my great-grandmother, Rachel L/n." She paused. "Well, I guess it was Rachel Darling before they got married. Why?"

"I knew Rachel, too!" Steve beamed happily. "She was a nurse in the army. I'm glad they were able to live happily with each other, Robinson really liked her."

Y/n smiled and Steve almost fell over. He had never once seen the e/c-eyed girl smile, and he could say with one hundred percent certainty that it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

Y/n looked back to her coffee cup. "Robinson, god it feels weird to call him by his first name, died about ten years ago. I kinda wish he had been around to meet you again. It... it would've been nice, for him to reconnect with old friends. He wanted you to be his best man at his wedding."