019

PAIGE

I was growing inside, filling with new possibilities and dreams and potential. It was like I had a life again, a future that I could call my own and shape into what I wanted it to be. The freedom took my breath away. When I looked at myself in the mirror, I started to see a girl. Not a wolf, nor an enemy, just me. Paige. My body had changed, it held new scars and bruises while still keeping the deeper wounds concealed, but they didn't feel so heavy. Time was a healing thing. As each minute passed since I trekked out the backdoor of my father's house months ago, my lungs were able to fill with more air, and the realization that nothing would ever be the same got easier and easier to bear.

The night the Wolf made his promise to me felt like a new beginning. After he had spoke his truth, still holding my hand, watching the tears stream, he just stared into my eyes. It was like a key slid into a lock, my resolve wavered. I leaned forward, closed my eyes and placed a kiss to his lips. Just one, enough for a small taste of one another. His lips were an addictive thing that I began to crave more and more.

When I pulled back, his eyes were still closed and his tongue ran tentatively over his lower lip as if to collect the memory I had left on his mouth. He never pushed any further like the other men I had kissed, he just let me do my thing and retreat. It was refreshing, gentle, unknown.

The Wolf laid out blankets before the fireplace and we sat on top of them, soaking in the waves of heat, and got to talking. I kept scenting the air, taking in his musky smell that begged me to crawl closer to his hulking form. I knew he was doing the same, constantly tipping his head towards me, the column of his throat swallowing down. 

"I grew up around Faith and Cody," the Wolf continued after taking a drink of his hot chocolate. "Which wasn't so easy, since they have had each other from the moment Faith entered the world. Young mates are always interesting. Since the bond is young, it isn't a romantic connection, but instead, more of a deep companionship. And since I was Beta born, I was always the third wheel. They were a hard duo to befriend, because you couldn't have one without the other, and they were always unbearably serious." He gave a low laugh, relaxing back on one elbow while I toyed with a loose string on the blanket and listened to his stories. He was an excellent storyteller, I would come to find out. He didn't miss many details.

"What does it mean for you to be a Beta? I mean, I know about the wolf parts, but does it change since you're..." I still struggled with the terms, "part human?"

The Wolf shrugged, "A bit. I mean, my rank is the protector in the Wild. I will always stand to the right of my Alphas, ready to back them up with anything. But in the skin, that leaves me with the paperwork and the logistics. Cody and Faith are the brains, I am their arms. That's just how our pack works, others are different."

"How many other packs are there?" I pondered if my father killed all wolves, or just werewolves. The thought was sickening; he was a potential mass murderer. I was a potential mass murderer.

"Lots, I guess. We don't have much contact with others, only if we need something. Once in awhile we will make the trek to other areas to sell goods or retrieve them, or keep up good relations. There are still wild wolves though."

"Why is there a mate bond? Where does it come from?"

"The Luna, we believe she is our creator. Some Packs think Sol is the real creator, mostly in the South. Anyway, she created the bond supposedly to bring wolves together. The prophecy always reverts to love as an answer for everything. The bond also serves as a lesson, because your mate is your other half, they hold the key to becoming your whole self." The Wolf laid on his back, reaching his arms languidly over his head and stretching his body out rather attractively. "In our Pack we hold significance in waiting for your mate, because they are our one treasure. It's a sign of respect."