Chapter Fourteen

Annabeth's POV:

The first week of living at Percy's quickly turned into a couple of months, and we were becoming better and better friends as time went on. We ate breakfast together in the mornings before we both left for work as Percy had started working on a large project at his dad's company and had to go in most days. We also ate dinner together most nights and continued to watch How I Met Your Mother when we had time. I loved being around him, and the more time I spent with him the happier I seemed to get as well.

Luke also came around the apartment a lot, but we didn't do a lot when he was around. He didn't seem very interested when both Percy and I were with him, but Percy and I both tried to include him whether it be during conversations, watching TV, or playing games. We continued to go out on dates which was the only time that Luke seemed to be himself with me.

Unfortunately, I didn't think that it was going to work out with Luke long term. Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing boyfriend, but my heart just wasn't invested in a romantic relationship with him which made me feel guilty. I just couldn't get my mind and my heart on the same track. Logically Luke made sense to be my forever, but my heart wanting something else... well, someone else might be the better way to put it.

As the first party rolled around since Luke and I had gotten together, I was dreading it. This would be the first party I'd gone to in years where I wasn't single. Luke, however, was thrilled to get to see everyone for the first time in forever.

Luke was set to meet Percy and I at our friend Thalia's home at 7 PM on the night of the party, and I couldn't decide whether or not it made me the worst person in the world that I really didn't want to attend the party with Luke. I didn't even know why I hated the idea of going with Luke, but I liked the idea of it just being Percy and I so much more.

By the time we arrived, Luke was already waiting for us which wasn't surprising since we were running on Percy time, ten minutes late always. Percy and I greeted Luke at the door. Luke wrapped his arm around my waist as we walked in the door. Everyone was sort of standing around in groups, but no one seemed to be paying us any attention.

Percy suddenly turned to me as we made our way into the living room. "Want to do a rematch from last time? I bet you can't beat me twice."

I grinned. "You're so on Seaweed Brain." I glanced towards a confused Luke and unwrapped his arm from my waist while dragging him by his hand to the basement door. "I crushed Percy at pool at the last party, and I need to go do it again."

We made our way down the stairs before setting up the pool table. I started the game by hitting the triangle and causing most the balls to spread across the table.

"Aw, come on Wise Girl," Percy chided. "You didn't even hit a single ball in."

I shoved at Percy's chest to which he mockingly groaned out in pain. "If I recall correctly, you didn't get any balls in your first shot last time either."

"I'm not sure you recall correctly then," Percy teased before lining his stick up with the cue ball and taking his first shot. He hit the ball in effortlessly making him stripes before moving on to the next. As he pulled the stick back I yelled in his ear causing him to barely hit the cue ball and miss the overall shot. "So, we're playing like that now?" Percy rose his eyebrows.

"Yep, otherwise my win would be too easy." I laughed.

Percy laughed as well before gesturing for me to begin. I aimed my first shot and tensed when I heard Percy behind me, but he didn't do anything. I moved to the second one and just as I began to shoot he tickled my side. Needless to say, I missed.

The game went on like this. Percy and I yelled, tickled, and messed around until only the eight ball was left. Midway through the game, Luke took off saying he was going to go outside for a little bit. I knew something was bugging him, but I figured I could talk to him about it afterwards. Finally, after a lot of back and forth, Percy hit the eight ball in, cheering and whooping for himself as the ball went in after I had yelled miss in his ear.

"I believe we're officially tied, Ms. Wise Girl," Percy teased as we began putting everything away.

I shivered as I recalled the last game of pool we played before giving Percy a . "I'm going to go check on Luke, but then we're doing a rematch to settle who's better."

I walked outside and saw Luke sitting on the front porch steps. I tapped his knee with my toe before preceding to sit down next to him. "What's up?"

Luke looked at me, but his eyes looked sad. "Annabeth, I need to ask you something, and I want you to be honest with me please."

I nodded my head and tried to keep a reassuring smile on my face as I watched him stare down at the ground. "Do you actually want to be with me?"

I bit my lip. I didn't know how to respond. If I was being honest with myself I knew the answer was no, but I didn't want to hurt him. "If I'm being completely truthful, no. I loved being friends with you, but I don't think we're meant to be as a couple. I'm really sorry."

Luke let a small smile cross his face as if to reassure me. "You don't need to apologize. To be honest I agree we're better as friends. I love you Beth, but I know you love him not me."

I raised my eyebrows at Luke. "What do you mean?"

"Come on, I thought you were supposed to be the smart one," Luke teased, nudging me with his elbow. "Even a blind man could see how head over heels you and Percy are for each other."

I felt my cheeks flush red. I knew a part of me liked Percy in that way, but I also knew Percy didn't feel the same. "I'm really sorry Luke."

"Being sorry isn't allowed. Just promise me that you'll try things with Percy, if anyone's going to be in it for the long haul it's you two."

I smiled at Luke and gave him one last hug around the shoulders. "We're still friends, right?"

"Of course," Luke answered. "Now go get the boy before I have to make things awkward by being your wingman and ex."

I laugh and watched as he walk to his car, waving at me once. I walked back inside and went down to the basement where Percy was waiting for me. "Is Luke alright?" He asked as I walked in.

"Yeah, he's heading home," I answered.

"Why? He literally just got here, and he seemed so excited to get to see everyone tonight." Percy looked confused as he spoke.

Might as well tell him now, I guess. "We broke up, out on the front porch. We decided we were better as friends."

Percy's mouth formed an o as he looked me over. "Are you alright, Wise Girl?"

"Yeah, I'm very alright." I grabbed my pool stick. "Now, can I please kick your butt in pool so I can be named champion?"