Chapter Five

Annabeth's POV:

I woke up in a bed that I was not familiar with. There was a sea green blanket that I'd been tucked in with, and when I turned around, I saw a familiar stuffed Nemo. Percy's room, I finally realized. I didn't remember coming in here, in fact I had purposely fallen asleep on the couch so that Percy wouldn't have to sleep there instead. Percy would've had to carry me in here, such an annoying gentleman. 

I rolled out of the bed and tidied it up before heading out to the living room. Percy was curled up on the couch with a trail of drool on the side of his mouth. I couldn't help but think that he looked adorable. Percy was muscular and athletic looking, but when he slept, he looked like a child rather than a well-built young man. 

I realized that I'd been staring for too long and found my cheeks flushing red, which happened too often in Percy's presence. I walked into the kitchen and tried to push away the rush of feelings that rushed through me regarding seeing the sleeping boy on the couch. Percy was my roommate and my friend, absolutely nothing more. I couldn't deny that he was attractive, but I couldn't catch feelings for him. 

I finally looked at the clock to find that it was nearly ten already, only two hours before my furniture would be delivered. I'd make breakfast and get dressed for the day before I had to figure out arranging the room that Percy was allowing me to use. 

I was going to make simple pancakes for breakfast. I dug through Percy's pantry and found pancake mix, but on the top, there was a sticky note. "Don't forget the blue food dye. Love, Mom." I found it cute that Percy had left the sticky note on the box even though it'd obviously been opened and used in the past. Maybe he was really quite the mama's boy after all. 

Percy walked into the kitchen almost immediately after I'd poured a handful of pancakes onto the pan. He gawked at me with his hair sticking up in multiple directions. "How'd you know?"

"Know what?" I laughed and watched his eyes that seemed full of excitement as he stared at the pancakes cooking in front of him. 

"The pancakes, they're blue. Blue pancakes are my favorite!" 

"I'm psychic I guess," I stated, shrugging my shoulders and trying to hide the grin spreading across my face. I looked over at Percy who still looked amazed before handing him the box of pancakes and pointing at the sticky note at the top. 

His grin didn't leave his face as he read the note, it only got wider. "You're officially my favorite person, even though you did have a hint."

I took the pancakes off the stove, as they had finished cooking, and put three on Percy's plate and three on my own. We walked toward the dining table, and Percy hurried to pull out my chair for me. "You made me breakfast so it's only fair I be a gentleman." 

I laughed and sat down. "Why thank you." I poured syrup on my pancakes while Percy sat down across from me. "So, what's with the blue pancakes?"

Percy nearly drowned his pancakes in syrup before finally answering my question. "When I was younger, my mom was married to this man, Gabe Ugliano, or Smelly Gabe to me." Percy paused to eat a bite of his pancakes. "So, one day my mom and him got in this argument, which seemed really big at the time, about the existence of blue food. Gabe was insistent on the fact that blue food didn't exist; therefore, my mom made it her mission to buy and make blue food, pancakes included."

"Your mom sounds awesome," I declared in between bites of pancakes. 

Percy smiled. "She is the coolest person I've ever met."

"Is your mom remarried now?"

Percy nodded his head as he continued to shove food into his mouth, but his eyes had darkened a little. I couldn't tell if it was about Gabe or whoever his mom was married to now. His grin finally reappeared as he began to respond. "She's married to Paul Blofis now, he's also really cool. He taught at Goode. I think we were both in one of his classes actually."