Chapter Four

Percy's POV:

About an episode and a half into the show, there was a knock on the door, and Annabeth jumped up to answer. She was greeted by none other than Leo Valdez, one of my best friends, holding a pizza.

He poked his head in through the doorway and looked pointedly between Annabeth and I. "Am I interrupting something?"

I chose to ignore Leo's question, but I could tell my cheeks were heating up right alongside Annabeth's. "Since when are you working at the pizza place? I thought you were still working at your mom's shop."

Leo walked in and set the pizza on the counter. "I am, but my mom had me run something to Aunt Rosa, who happens to own the pizza place. I noticed your address on a delivery slip while I was there, but I didn't know that you had company."

"You're welcome to stay and hang out with us if you'd like," Annabeth said awkwardly after shutting the door.

"I don't think that'd be a good idea. If I told Jason that I'd interrupted this date of yours, he'd kill me."

I figured my blush was going to make Leo come to further conclusions, but I couldn't seem to make it disappear. "It's not anything like that Leo."

Leo rose his eyebrows at me. "Care to explain what it is then?"

"He's letting me stay here because my mom had me evicted," Annabeth finally cut in. Even though she'd had the information all day, it still seemed to weigh on her the same as when she'd shown up crying.

Leo's mouth formed into an O shape, and he rubbed the back of his neck while appearing to calculate what to say. "That's horrible, Annabeth. How long do you think you'll be living together?"

"As long as Annabeth wants or needs to live with me," I replied.

Leo shrugged his shoulders, apparently satisfied with the little information he had and grabbed a slice of pizza. Annabeth walked to the bathroom to wash her hands while Leo and I walked to the kitchen.

"You're in too deep, Perce," Leo suddenly spoke next to me.

I glared at him as I took a bite of my pizza. "What exactly is that supposed to mean, Valdez?"

Leo laughed and pointed his pizza at me. "You invited your make out buddy, who you are totally in love with by the way, to live with you."

"She's just a friend, and I barely even know her. There aren't any feelings there," I practically growled at him.

"You look like a lovesick little puppy. Besides, I've heard you talk about her enough after parties to know it isn't just a friend thing," Leo said. "How long did it take you to give her your hoodie?"

Just as I was about to give Leo a snarky reply back, Annabeth walked out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. "Is the pizza any good?"

Leo and I nodded, thus concluding the conversation we'd just had and answering Annabeth's question. After we'd sat in uncomfortable silence for a while, Annabeth finally began talking. "Did I miss something while I was in the bathroom? Normally, both of you are so talkative."

Leo shook his head. "We got in a minor argument about pizza toppings. Percy tried to claim sausage doesn't belong on pizza."

I rolled my eyes, but Annabeth just laughed. "I'd have to agree, sausage just doesn't taste right on pizza."

I was glad that Leo brought up a previous argument, so I didn't have to hesitate to give an opinion. "Right? It's nasty on pizza. I mean I'm not a huge fan of sausage overall, but on pizza it's just so much worse."

"Exactly," Annabeth spoke again. "I think you will be indefinitely outnumbered in this argument, Leo."

Leo scowled at both of us. "You two really are just two peas in a pod, aren't you?" He gave me a pointed look to which I glared back.

"We were watching How I Met Your Mother before you got here. Do you two want to continue watching it?" Annabeth asked after another moment of silence.

Leo shrugged his shoulders. "Why not."

We all made our way to the couch. Leo laid across one couch while Annabeth and I sat on the other one. She could have sat on the far side away from me, but she sat right next to me. It made my heart beat a little faster, and I saw Leo's smug grin across the room.

We'd made it through about two episodes before Leo started getting bored, which was made extremely clear by his constant commenting. He was even making little comments on Ted's hair and Barney's suits. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he stood up to leave.

"I guess I need to get back to my gorgeous girlfriend at some point." He stood up and put his shoes back on. "I'll see you two this weekend, right?"

"What's this weekend?" I asked.

"Jason is throwing a party. Well, Thalia is throwing a party at Jason and Piper's house."

"We'll see you then," Annabeth answered. "Tell Calypso I said hi."

Leo nodded and walked out of the apartment. I looked at Annabeth as he walked out, she looked exhausted. "Do you want to get to bed, Wise Girl?"

She shook her head. "Can we watch one more episode?"

I smiled at her and pushed play on the TV once again. Annabeth laid her head on my shoulder and brought her legs up onto the couch. She began to daze almost immediately, and we were only a couple of minutes in by the time she fell fast asleep.

I turned off the TV the second I'd noticed that Annabeth was asleep; however, I was terrified of waking her up. I sat still for what felt like hours but could have been merely minutes before shifting her off of me and picking her up bridal style to carry her into my room. I tried my best not to jostle her as I carried her silently into my bed. I laid her down on the bed and pulled the blanket at the end over her.

Annabeth seemed to wake as I pulled the blanket over her, but I traced her nose a few times with my finger before she fell back asleep. She looked beautiful when she slept.

After making sure that Annabeth was tucked in and placing the Nemo plush next to her, I headed back out into the living room. I laid down on the couch and pulled a blanket over me before turning on a movie, one that quickly put me to sleep.