Chapter Eight

Percy's POV:

By the time I woke up, Estelle was already out of my bed. I walked out to the living room, rubbing my eyes from exhaustion, where Annabeth was sitting on the couch with Estelle. She was reading from a book about the Greek Gods with colorful pictures. I think it was Perry Johnson and the Greek Gods, one of the only books I actually read when I was a kid. Estelle was eyeing the pictures with wide eyes as Annabeth read.

Once I reached the couch, I leaned over the back and kissed the top of Estelle's head. She giggled and stood up to face me. "You sleep forever."

"You could've woken me up," I replied. "Did you guys already eat breakfast, or should I make French toast really quickly?"

"We haven't eaten yet," Annabeth said, placing her book on the table by the couch. "Do you want help with the French toast?"

"Nah, thanks though." I walked back into the kitchen and started mixing the eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon together. French toast was one of the only foods that I could make without royally messing it up. Annabeth set up the table and undid Estelle's braids so that her hair was crimped down her back. Then Annabeth got down a few glasses to get drinks.

"Hey Wise Girl, can you pour me some orange juice, pretty please?" I gave her my best puppy dog pout. Annabeth rolled her eyes in response before grabbing the orange juice out of the fridge.

A knock on the door echoed throughout the apartment just as I started to take the first pieces of toast off the pan. My mother's voice rang out as she walked in. Estelle jumped off the chair table and ran to give my mom and Paul a hug.

Paul was carrying Estelle as they walked into the kitchen. "How was your sleepover?" Paul asked.

"It was fun! Annabeth did my hair, and we watched movies and ate a ton of candy!" Estelle exclaimed.

"Your hair looks beautiful, monkey!" My mom complimented as she sat down at the table. "Is there any way I can talk you into giving me some French toast too?"

"Of course, Mom." My mom sat down at the table.

Annabeth grabbed two more glasses. "Can I get you guys something to drink? There's milk, water, orange juice, or diet coke."

"Thanks, dear. Can I get a glass of juice? Same for Paul, I believe." My mom looked toward Paul and he nodded in response.

Annabeth rushed to get their drinks while I put plates down in front of Estelle, my mom, and Paul. I grabbed the syrup and set it on the table before putting more toast on the pan. "Ours will be done in a moment Wise Girl."

"Perfect, thanks." Annabeth said. She took a seat next to Estelle at the table. I followed her and sat down next to her as well. "So, how was the thing you guys went to last night?"

"A lot of fun actually," My mom began. "My publishers and editor wanted to throw a little party before my new novel officially dropped. I thought it was going to be very boring, but it ended up being a blast."

Annabeth seemed more into the conversation now. "You write novels?"

My mom smiled. "Yes, I do. I published my first novel almost five years ago now, and since I've written three more."

I was so proud with how far my mom had gotten in life. She'd had just about the worst childhood anyone could ask for. She'd lost her parents in a plane crash then had to drop out of high school to take care of her dying uncle. She'd worked so hard to come so far, and I couldn't help but feel immense pride for how well she had done.

Annabeth began asking for the titles of the books, swearing that she would order the books on Amazon the second we were done eating. As they spoke about my mom's novels, I put a plate of toast in front of Annabeth before sitting down with my own. Annabeth and my mom went back and forth about books they liked and authors they enjoyed reading, Paul chipped in once in a while as well.